Possible Meteorite??

I found an unusual item yesterday while metal detecting at the farm.  It is egg shape and has the feel and appearance of metal, but doesn't sound off on the detector.  It is a little over 2 inches long by about 1 inch across.  It is heavily pitted with some crusting in some of the pits.  Also there are small inclusions (visible with a loupe).  Some of these inclusions are stony in appearance and a couple look similar to crystal quartz (extremely small).  It seems very dense and heavy for its size and weighs 80 grams (2 3/4 oz.).

The soil in the area has no natural stone or metals in the matrix. There was an old house site in this area.  

IMG_2242.thumb.JPG.98983645cac43d78cddb50e72df3c4c7.JPG

Any help with possible ID will be appreciated.

MT

IMG_2243.thumb.JPG.32fdb66bccd79b84ce3fef031f9ec40c.JPG

IMG_2239.thumb.JPG.0939bbc1807dab2bc7eb5ba7b211f17e.JPG

Not a meteorite.  Looks to be a heavily inclusion chalcedony.  The pockets with the small quartz crystals and layering are akin to tiny geodes/agates.  How it got to your farm I cant say but its likely it fell outta someones pocket ?  Neat bit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DDancer said:

Not a meteorite.  Looks to be a heavily inclusion chalcedony.  The pockets with the small quartz crystals and layering are akin to tiny geodes/agates.  How it got to your farm I cant say but its likely it fell outta someones pocket ?  Neat bit.

Thanks DD!!  I appreciate the ID.  Still a neat find.  Maybe is was dropped by a native American at some point back in the past.  Who knows?

MT

• Like 1