KiwiEd

New Member From Nz

Firstly thank you for allowing me to join this forum.

I have done a couple of Gold Prospecting Tours to Australia,  own a SDC2300 and just purchased a 2nd hand GPX5000 so I am keen to seek knowledge and tips in prospecting and also on the two detectors.

Cheers ed

• Like 5

Welcome aboard KiwiEd, plenty of good information here, you're well armed with the two detectors you've got that's for sure.

Out of interest how do you find the SDC in NZ? Especially in comparison to your GPX.  Have you got yourself any good coils for your GPX yet?

Thanks for the welcome phrunt, I see you are in Northern Southland. I live in the far north, Whangarei.

I like the SDC2300 here on the beach but really got it for chasing gold in Australia. The GPX5000 is at this point in time still in Australia with a friend, there are several coils, at this point in time I have not seen any of the gear, my friend checked it out and picked it up for me.

How is gold detecting in your area?

ed

You'll stumble across a lot of posts by myself and KiwiJW on this forum, we detect for gold around the Queenstown Lakes/Cental Otago area, it's pretty slim pickings and the gold is mostly tiny but it's great fun hunting for it.  It's there to be found that's the main thing.  I'm pretty new to detecting with just over a year under my belt now where as KiwiJW is a seasoned professional 🙂

Smart way to buy your GPX, bring it back as luggage next time you're over 🙂

KiwiJW has an SDC and didn't find it overly good for gold in our area, not sure if his is faulty or they just don't work as well in our soils as there are endless brilliant reports out of them from Australia but I guess in mild soils they just don't have the same punch.  He sent it to Minelab OZ to be tested as he was so unhappy with it's performance and they said it's operating within specifications.  I've seen it sitting in his garage gathering dust, he never uses it but then you see everyone in OZ loves them.

I guess being blessed with mild soils like we have we are able to run our high frequency VLF's as hot as they'll go which replicates the performance of an SDC anyway.

I recommend you consider a Nugget Finder 14x9 or 12x8" coil for your GPX when you eventually have it in your hands, they seem great coils for our environment.  Dan at DredgeNZ sells them so we don't have to import them thankfully.

I see you also have the Steelphase SP01, I really like mine.  How are you finding it on the SDC?

Is there gold in Northland anywhere?

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

Hi phrunt, I really like the SDC both here and in Aus, I have only used it on the beach here in NZ seems to work well but it is not hunting gold but coins and jewellery. For dry sand I use mostly sensitivity +1 or 2  for wet sand -1 or 2, Aus usually +4 or 5. Swing speed needs to be slow to very slow I find.

The SP01 is awesome both on the SDC as well as the V3i, I got the pro headphones at the same time as the SP01. They seem to work well together.

With the recent purchase of the GPX5000 it came with quite a few accessories, Booster, from memory 5 coils, harness, pick and belt holder and aluminium carry case, covers and push stick. Was an excellent deal I feel.

My friend in Aus took his GPX5000 as well as mine, both with same settings and coil and he said he was very impressed with performance of my new purchase. Sounds pretty good.

ed

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Ed from SoCal. Best of luck!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KiwiEd said:

I have done a couple of Gold Prospecting Tours to Australia,  own a SDC2300 and just purchased a 2nd hand GPX5000 so I am keen to seek knowledge and tips in prospecting and also on the two detectors.

You have the tools and the attitude.  You've come to the right place.  Welcome!  We all look forward to your posts of your upcoming finds.

• Like 1

Hi Ed

It's good your SDC is doing the trick for you! Hopefully it finds you some gold but I guess once you get your hands on the 5000 you'll find it hard to put down.  I thought you'd be liking your SP01, they seem great.

I bet you're excited to get your hands on your 5000.  It's good it came with a range of coils, sounds like you got a smoking deal.