How Is The Sea Hunter Mk2 With Small Targets?

kac

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:12 PM, kac said:

Thanks, seems to take some digging for more info on it.

The reason for that is there were few of these ever built, so not much chatter about them on the web. Sven built them by hand in his basement and only built a few each year and has now stopped making them entirely. There were a few others made by other people from Sven's kits and boards, but still the total units out there is very small compared to commercial units. The only one I would want would be made by Sven himself, the others are an unknown.

You have Sven's web site as a place to start. From there a few searches with relevant key words like "Sven Stau Mirage PI" etc will find you all there is out there to know. One other thing. This PI has the same controls that control lots of PI detectors, so general PI information is relevant. Like Clynicks Pulsepower booklet. Expensive, but worth it in this case.

Want to thank everyone for their 2 cents, with that I will hold up as I will slug it out at the beach with my AT Pro and big coil until I find something somewhat worthy that will spark my interest to do more beach hunting. Might spring for the Whites TDI Beach Hunter but thinking down the road but have a feeling with all the trash around it may not be a good option for relic hunting which limits it to the beaches more so.

Thanks for info on Sven's machines, they look really nice but if I got one I have a feeling I would store it more as a collector item and actually use it. Like having a Morgan in the garage, back it out dust it off then roll it back inside hahah.

• 1 month later...

After looking at different machines and for the price I ended up buying the SeaHunter mk2. Finally got a break in the weather and gave it a run in the salt and it really does very well. Definitely picks up small bits crap and goes fairly deep, deeper than I can dig in the surf without the sand filling.

Overall it for myself it is a huge upgrade from my vlf's and much more fun to run as it is super simple to operate. I did consider the Beach Hunter TDI but for the price and limited use around here (cannot use a tdi in the ground here without going mad from trash).

Just as Steve said, the discrim is the pulse frequency and does very little to discriminate so just keeping it on lowest setting works best so far.

The stock 8" coil is probably more than enough and not so big you can better judge the targets size and shape. I can easily tell the difference from a penny or coin vs a piece of fence wire etc. Overall pleased with the purchase and now need to find more than 28 cents my next run.