My Review Of White's Goldmaster 24K

On 3/12/2019 at 12:40 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I hope they shave the excess hollow area off the bottom of the 4 x 6 coils like has been done with the 6" concentric. Never could figure that nonsense out - did White's never look at Gold Bug 2 coils?

Yes total waste of 5mm space....every serious detector prospector could use that 5mm to send the coil field deeper into the soil....so glad the 6" concentric is fully flat ?

A few little curious discoveries lately, the 24K is definitely a quirky machine. Its more stable and sharper on tiny signals when in locked GB, creates much poorer signal when you're trying to find said targets in your scoop and sometimes has a complete fit and wont ground balance after a loud signal. I have thrown away good targets because I didnt hear them in my scoop! Only by slowly bring the scoop towards the edge of the 6" concentric coil, can you confidently hear if you have the target...and even then its far quieter than in the ground. When the ground balance issue happens, I simply lock the GB and give it an instant ground grab.....solved! 

I'm currently at 26 bits of gold and approx 300 bits of trash, all off ground Ive hammered for the past 30 years. All in only 6 hours total. I am sold on this machine....love it!

24k 1st gram.jpg

• Like 6

Before setting the 24k down to dig a target, always lock the GB to prevent ground balance drift. When the detector is lying on the ground, with the coil perpendicular to the ground, and the coil is facing into air, and no longer facing soil, in autotrac mode the XGB will search out the proper GB setting (which is its job) and thus can cause incorrect setting unless facing the soil.

My smallest recovered 24K microflakes now range in the 1/15 to 1/20 of a GRAIN size , found in highly mineralized Mojave Desert soil. This machine is awesome! HH Jim

• Like 5

Jim, I run the 24K almost solely in fixed GB. Think I will take your advice and flatten the coil to the ground when searching my scoop contents. Doubtlessly it IS because of the XGB tracking as you say ☺️ 

Well, Ive now gotten 15 hours of use with the 24K and now have 45 bits of gold and well over 500 pieces of trash all on heavy-hit ground. I am finding lumpy, rounded bits of gold and lead shot at 3+ inches quite commonly. The depth increase over the older Whites Goldmasters and the Fisher Gold Bug 2 is now quite apparent. I really must drag myself away from the 6.5" concentric coil for a while to properly test the 10x5DD coil in some hotter ground.....one day, when the gold gets harder to find perhaps ?

whites 24k gold 2.jpg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Aureous said:

Well, Ive now gotten 15 hours of use with the 24K and now have 45 bits of gold and well over 500 pieces of trash all on heavy-hit ground.

On heavy hit ground that seems pretty darn good. Digging hard at a little less than 1 good target in 10. In heavy hit ground. Almost like having new ground by simply changing something, in this case the detector, in your approach. Thanks for keeping track of your trash count to know. Do you know how many grams you got in total there so far in your 15 hours? That looks awfully good for that amount of time.

4 hours ago, Aureous said:

I am finding lumpy, rounded bits of gold and lead shot at 3+ inches quite commonly.

Even more interesting. Targets in heavy hit ground being found at 3". Thinking of what that says. The very top of a soil profile to most, yet still having good targets and gold-like trash even though well detected over a period of time.

What do you think accounts for this? Or perhaps it might be better to wonder what should have prevented recovery of these targets before when they were only 3" deep. Not even sure anymore how to phrase what I am trying to say, but there are those who say only a small fraction of the gold in the ground (even surface targets) has been found, and that those which remain are masked by something.

Yes, the key facts to recognize here, is that almost everyone in Oz uses PI's. This leaves all the tiny gold for me and a few others. Select ground that isnt terribly mineralized, and believe me, this isnt easy, and you have a huge number of targets to chase. I started using high frequency VLF's again after a break of several years using PI's exclusively. I got a shoulder injury which forced me to select a lightweight detector. I chose a Gold Bug 2 and since 2013, Ive found well over 5,000 bits of gold. The gold has started to dry up near me and so I trialed a Gold Monster but didnt really like it much. Now switched to a 24K and MAN!....what a machine for this type of work. I'm going over all the same ground like its new again. 

• Like 9