Found My First Gold Today W/ The Nox 800

Cheese

On 3/1/2019 at 6:24 PM, Cheese said:

I spent a couple of hours in the local park today, using the Nox 800 with the 6" coil, and found my first gold. The target ended up being 7 gram gold teeth ? and TID was 10.

I also found a bunch of change. All of these quarters were in the same hole.

I feel like I am starting to get the hang of this. 

It has been pretty fun so far!

20190301_150324.jpg

signal-2019-03-01-135320.jpg

Congrats on the gold, but from a detector standpoint, I would like to "sink my teeth" into getting more information from you on the coin spill.  

Specifically, some folks have "mouthed off" on the Equinox as not being sensitive to shallow bulk high conductors and have shown that before the firmware update, that the Equinox had trouble giving a high tone/TID on edge-stacked quarters simply pressed into the ground.  I replicated this for myself and confirmed a marked difference in how Equinox responds pre and post update with this particular target situation (post update you get solid high TIDs and tones).  Since I was unlikely to encounter such a contrived target situation, I chalked it up as a curiosity more so than legitimate performance concern and filed it away in the memory banks.

Bottom line, would like to "grill" you on what the signal sounded like (and TIDs) over the quarters, mode settings uses, depth, and whether the quarters were all co-located in the hole or scattered about at different depths and anything else of note when you recovered the spill.  

Thanks and I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew on this one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Congrats on the gold, but from a detector standpoint, I would like to "sink my teeth" into getting more information from you on the coin spill.  

Specifically, some folks have "mouthed off" on the Equinox as not being sensitive to shallow bulk high conductors and have shown that before the firmware update, that the Equinox had trouble giving a high tone/TID on edge-stacked quarters simply pressed into the ground.  I replicated this for myself and confirmed a marked difference in how Equinox responds pre and post update with this particular target situation (post update you get solid high TIDs and tones).  Since I was unlikely to encounter such a contrived target situation, I chalked it up as a curiosity more so than legitimate performance concern and filed it away in the memory banks.

Bottom line, would like to "grill" you on what the signal sounded like (and TIDs) over the quarters, mode settings uses, depth, and whether the quarters were all co-located in the hole or scattered about at different depths and anything else of note when you recovered the spill.  

Thanks and I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew on this one.

Thanks.

This is a picture of the actual quarters before I picked them up.  Some were loose and some were stacked, but the were all very close. I think the TID was jumping around between 30-35, but it was a very solid hit. I was using park mode 2 with the sensitivity on 18.

As far as being able to compare the pre and post firmware updates, Icant, because Ive only used the detector post firmware update.

signal-2019-03-01-135211.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Some were loose and some were stacked, but the were all very close.

One can tell from the patina that some of these quarters were protected from the ground's corrosion by being intimately close to something (each other).  I've also noticed this with other 'protectants' such as plastic and foil.  Other of the your coins show they weren't so well shielded.  Nice pics, especially the last which shows the coins still in situ.

I always wonder when I find a coin spill (here in your case):  how does someone lose 9 quarters in one spot, at the same time and not realize it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I always wonder when I find a coin spill (here in your case):  how does someone lose 9 quarters in one spot, at the same time and not realize it?

I was thinking the same thing when I was pulling them out.  I also thought it was odd for them to be stacked together. 

On 3/2/2019 at 2:19 PM, afreakofnature said:

I am trying to see how deep folks are finding gold in parks.

The area of the park I found it in was wet and also gets a lot of foot traffic.

I found a similar set of teeth a couple of years ago.  It would be interesting if you got those shot with a gun to let you know the make up of the set.

Mitchel

6 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I found a similar set of teeth a couple of years ago.  It would be interesting if you got those shot with a gun to let you know the make up of the set.

Just to clarify, this refers to non-destructive testing with X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) spectroscopy.  ?  Some pawn shops and coin shops have these devices.  They aren't cheap ($5k entry level?) and thus the shop may charge a fee for doing a measurement.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Just to clarify, this refers to non-destructive testing with X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) spectroscopy.  ?  Some pawn shops and coin shops have these devices.  They aren't cheap ($5k entry level?) and thus the shop may charge a fee for doing a measurement.

I want to get an XRF so bad but just can't justify the cost. The ones I've seen start at 15K and go up from there. I wanted to get one for my scrap metal business as it grows bigger. But secretly, I want it to test all my detecting finds :laugh:

• Like 2