VLF Discrimination Shortlist

In search of that vlf discrimating detector for trashy areas, ruled out eureka gold(weight), ruled out CTX ? over multifrequency & weight. Left with GB2, GBpro and Xterra 705 gold, with the Xterra on top because of its discrim properties and flexibility. Many thanks Steve for your concise and up to date reviews, definitely the best. Initially the CTX seemed most logical but I can see a single frequency is needed for my purpose, the Xterra having that with coil changes allowing it to go for lower frequencies for those coins. Something I haven`t chased for 20 plus years, but recall the fun I had doing so. My shortlist but???? no urgency.

• Like 1

Too much choice we have, tis confusing, my shortlist is expanding again also just received some info that makes me think I should also add the AT gold, just didn`t initially consider as I am a dry prospector. The F75 should prove AOK with its features.

All the 13 kHz to 19 kHz detectors in threshold based all metal mode are all so close in performance it does not matter. It is all the "extra" features that make them different. For prospecting though I can grab any of them and find gold about as well as with the next. They all have ardent fan clubs for good reason - they all work reasonably well.

Like a kid in the candy store, you`d reckon the GPZ would keep me happy for awhile. Decided on the Xterra 705 Gold and ordered one, blimey when I grow up I definitely wanna be a kid.

Steve, i think i caught most of your older posts on fors gold, seem to remember one which said to grab the core not the gold, one less setting for gold. I havent seen a whole lot on the fors models lately, have you got many hours with it this year.

Not yet but I will get them (the CoRe and Gold) out more soon. The Gold is a great unit but the CoRe is the same unit with the addition of a Salt mode called Conductive Ground (COG). Same cost so basically an extra mode for free that may be useful on alkali or other really bad ground. Plus probable better resale value as the CoRe seems to be in far more demand. Lots more people looking for it than the Gold model.

Here is the thread on the differences http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/531-difference-between-nokta-fors-gold-and-fors-core/

After a few hours use of the Xterra705, just got to say it is a great little lightweight machine, sensitive on gold and the notch discrimination for coins Wow!  Not having used a VLF since the 1700, they have certainly come a long way, have a lot of learning to do with this machine. Thank you for advice all.

While not exactly a "Turn On And Go" detector, there is not a huge learning curve for the 705. I had a 70 gold pac, and I absolutely loved it. Had it for about six years. After I moved on, I regretted selling it. I will in all likelihood get a new 705 next.

I'm going to have to borrow one, and do a side-by-side against my Scheibel MIMID (mine detector).

OVpsR3.jpg

Mike

• Like 1