California 49er

Flowdog

1949er that is. Wish I had my new Nox 800 in 1849, but then again I probably would be recycled by now. Pleased to have found this awesome forum. A wealth of information and friendly people. A great place to start a new hobby in my 70th year.

I just received my detector from Gerry’s Detectors. I ended up finding Gerry based on advice to buy from an outfit that will be there when you need some help. Amazon, eBay, and many other places did not fit that description. Gerry talked at length with me regarding my and a lifelong friend’s detector needs. Two days later I had my Equinox in hand. I highly recommend any other newbies save a lot of time and energy and consider using Gerry’s - he’s THE guy.

I am excited yet sober about this endeavor. Learning new skills is not quite as easy as it once was. I spent most of my life destroying my hearing on turbine decks operating various power plants until I promoted to the quiet of a control room. I ended up in Northern California 15 years ago giving up my Chief Hydro Operator position and taking a promotion as Water Services Supervisor supervising operations of Frenchman, Davis and Antelope dams, and administering water rights over roughly 2500 miles of watershed. I am now in my 49th year a fly fisherman and wonder how many nuggets I have waded over, kicked, and otherwise nearly drowned on. Perhaps a method to my madness is emerging - hydroelectricity - fly fishing - fox in charge of the henhouse. ? As I type this intro, it is still raining. I think it started in February on a big snowpack. The Middle Fork Feather is still rising (more water). I anticipate Spring 2019 to be a monumental hydraulic mining season. Looking to tap my technical power generation, water, and river reading backgrounds to help me learn to find nuggets with Nox. I KNOW - a long row to hoe, but my friend and I are as pumped as the rivers are.

Looking forward to the ride with you all.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Flowdog said:

I am excited yet sober about this endeavor. Learning new skills is not quite as easy as it once was.

Welcome, Flowdog!  I hear ya regarding "...not quite as easy..." but the nice thing about metal detecting is that you still find things from the start, as you learn.  I like your attitude.  I can tell you're one of those people who wouldn't want to waste your time on something that wasn't a challenge.  You've picked a good hobby and a good site to read/report/learn/enjoy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Welcome, Flowdog!  I hear ya regarding "...not quite as easy..." but the nice thing about metal detecting is that you still find things from the start, as you learn.  I like your attitude.  I can tell you're one of those people who wouldn't want to waste your time on something that wasn't a challenge.  You've picked a good hobby and a good site to read/report/learn/enjoy.

Thanks for the empathetic, encouraging and warm hello GB_A.

Howdy! I’m in Southern California and just bought my Nox from Gerry too - great guy!!!

The learning curve is no joke and I consider myself pretty technical. My biggest hindrance to my own learning is impatience - I keep trying new areas, new techniques, jumping in before I have a proper look around, etc. I need to go back and reread all the great info Gerry sent me! At least I’m staying away from mucking with settings past the presets - I figure I gotta do at least one thing right! ?

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

-Julie in SoCal

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Flowdog. You’ve have some great and interesting experiences.

You’ll fit right in with the flow of things. Best of luck hunting for those nuggets!

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 10:51 AM, jinmon said:

Howdy! I’m in Southern California and just bought my Nox from Gerry too - great guy!!!

The learning curve is no joke and I consider myself pretty technical. My biggest hindrance to my own learning is impatience - I keep trying new areas, new techniques, jumping in before I have a proper look around, etc. I need to go back and reread all the great info Gerry sent me! At least I’m staying away from mucking with settings past the presets - I figure I gotta do at least one thing right! ?

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

-Julie in SoCal

Hi Julie. Thanks very much for your welcome.  I am an empty vessel when it comes to metal detecting. It's ALL learning from where I stand. I plan to stick to FP Modes. Until the time comes that I understand the purpose (the why?) of a setting change, the effect of any changed setting, any counter-balancing setting, then I will not hunt with a random set up. 

You mentioned Gerry. He has prepared me for my first hunt this weekend. He knows his stuff and took the time to explain answers to my questions. You cannot have made a better choice than buying from Gerry.    e practically insisted that the important link he emailed be watched. It is about Tones. The You Tube itself is about the X-terra 705, but shares with the Equinox much of the Tone info. I watched it a couple of times. Gerry is correct. All the links he sent will help with the Equinox learning curve.

Looking forward to getting word of your success.

Curtis

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 1:02 PM, BeachHunter said:

Welcome to the forum Flowdog. You’ve have some great and interesting experiences.

You’ll fit right in with the flow of things. Best of luck hunting for those nuggets!

Hi BH. I appreciate your kindly welcome. I believe with about 98.6% percent of my soul that metal detecting is the next great and interesting experience in my life. Really happy that this forum exists. It seems like an oasis.

Back at YOU BH, all of the luck you sent my way, and I raise you double the luck!!

• Like 1

Thank you FD! I appreciate that. Looking forward to seeing what you may find. Everything is interesting. It’s like being a kid again!

Good Luck on the hunt!

BH

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the forum..A bit down hill from you. My brother works for a crane company that services all of the PGE plants in the sierras.  

strick

Welcome to the forums Flowdog.  You have bought a great detector and joined an equally good forum.  There’s a lot of great knowledge and people in this place to help you become a successful Detectorist.  The presets on the Equinox are quite good and you should be pulling some nice treasure in no time.  Good luck and welcome aboard.