TDI Modifications

Have been reading past treads from Steve H., Reg Snift, and others concerning modification that could be added to the TDI, TDI PRO, and TDI SL. One was a Li ion battery pack to up the voltage. I can do that. Another was to change a couple caps (c20 and c21) to .22 mf and change a couple op amps. Sounded like Reg would do some for a price. Then sounded like Reid Mann in Virginia would do them. Then the VP from Whites came on the forum asking for feedback. I forget his name but think he just retired , anyway, his final answer sounded like he would have this mod. incorporated into the new TDI SL future production. This was a year or two back. Now my question, Do you know if this mod. has been installed in the new TDI SL that fedex is supposed to deliver to me tomorrow? If not since I'm a retired electronic tech. I could install myself if Reg had given a little more information. If no one has or are willing to give out, do you know anyone that installs the mod. for a price? Thanks, Joe

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help, but I can give you some detail on the mods you're talking about. Reg designed these mods for the original and pro TDI's I don't know if he went any further with the SL. I've had two mods installed in my TDI machines, one was to eliminate the threshold warble, drove me crazy in both TDI's and in my GP3500. I now can run either TDI wide open in gain and have a totally smooth threshold. The other mod was to increase sensitivity to small gold I believe it has helped in that regard but have no proof. At the time (two to three years ago) Reg was living in Colorado Springs, he was working with a fellow in Pueblo that was qualified to do the changes and was doing them. I had him do the changes to my machines. It is possible that I still might have his email address. I will have to look for it and it may take some time if I can still find it. To the best of my knowledge Reg never did make the internals of the mods public, however he frequented some of the more technical forums than I did so maybe he did turn them loose. You can PM me if you want me to look for the email address. It will take me a while though as I have changed email services and ISP's since that time and I'm right in the middle of fine tuning a couple of rifles and also doing taxes.

Mike

• Like 2

The changes to the TDI SL were about increasing the sweep speed, without loss of sensitivity to small nuggets. That was accomplished by changing the aforementioned capacitor values. Here's what Reg posted on this mod.

"The caps being removed are C20 &21, .47uf and will be replaced with .22uf. Use 50v Panasonic, or Rubicon Stacked Metal Film Polyester type." Credit to Reg Sniff

The only other change was increasing the battery voltage to 16.8 volts. There is a small risk of trouble by doing that. The capacitors in the power supply are only rated for 16v. But I don't know anybody that has used the higher voltage that has had problems. I've been using the 16.8v pack for 2 years. It does make a substantial difference in depth and sensitivity.

Jim

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I spoke with Reg many times about making changes to my TDI-SL

We also exchanged many emails, I do still have them. He describes the changes and purpose and also included images of the circuit board and locations. 

Anyone interested can shoot me an email and I will forward. 
I can also copy them and post them here but would like to know if Reg is OK with it first.

Gilbert

gflores71@hotmail.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That would be great since all the other TDI forums are getting nuked and blown away. Lots of great info is getting lost or way too hard to find. I appreciate you wanting to make sure that Reg is ok with it before posting though... good man!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, gflores71 said:

We also exchanged many emails, I do still have them. He describes the changes and purpose and also included images of the circuit board and locations. 

I can also copy them and post them here but would like to know if Reg is OK with it first.

Gilbert

gflores71@hotmail.com

Thanks for the information.  Interesting information.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/28/2019 at 12:24 AM, gflores71 said:

Gilbert

gflores71@hotmail.com

I sent you an email Gil, thanks ☺️

• 4 months later...

i send you email Gil, thanks 

for the 

Gilbert

gflores71@hotmail.com

• 2 years later...