Sign in to follow this  
bamajoe

Best Coin Shooting Coil For TDI Sl

I have a TDI SL coming in today. I know most people want to detect for small gold. In my bad soil I want to detect silver coins that my CTX3030 can't reach. I'm a long way from the beach and probably long way from gold. That leaves coins and relics.  I've heard that larger coils tend to ignore small trash which sounds good for a coin hunter. I know that if you raise the delay that this helps but with a loss of depth. A 12" dual field and 7.5" dual field are coming with the machine.  What could I get that would be better suited for detecting coins?

I use the 7.5" dual field coil on the regular TDI for coin hunting in parks. I tried the 12" dual field coil and the coil is difficult to pinpoint targets and didn't seem to handle the trashy areas as well as the 7.5 coil.  The audio is modulated by how deep the target is so I cherry pick the parks I hunt and only dig targets 4 inches or deeper. Biggest drawback is wire and nails will sound similar to a good target and it will take many hours of use to learn the nuances of what the detector is telling you. I have a 9x5 folded mono coil also but I like the the 7.5 the best.  Make sure you have a good pinpointer as the TDI does not have a pinpoint mode and be prepared to dig deep targets. You will be amazed on how many deep targets that VLF detectors are missing.

Good Luck!

• Like 2

Thank Glenn...I'll be out tomorrow giving it a go.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Cleggy
      Can I reduce the sensitivity of my GPX 5000 but still keep good depth. 
      I'll show you the problems I'm getting in this video

• By Joe76
      In FNQ Australia, there are a number of properties you can go on & detect for gold. Most places are pay to detect & are well set up for camping with designated areas set aside for metal detecting, if you are fortunate enough to have access to private leases & cattle stations with gold bearing country even better again. Up until today, I had access to one of these private cattle stations to prospect on. Unfortunately I no longer have access, this is due to the fact there are still people doing the wrong thing while on these properties. The rubbish left behind at camp sites and open detector holes for cattle to break legs in is out of control. On top of that you got fence jumpers & poachers running a muck too. This is causing huge issues for for graziers forcing them to close the gates to everyone & in most cases getting access now, is nearly impossible. 
      I can't express in words how disappointing this is for us guys & girls who are doing the right thing, only to be told you can't detect at your favourite spot anymore because of w#%kers ruining it for everyone. So the quest for a new spot starts again....  Take only gold and memories & leave only foot prints. So we will all have somewhere to look for gold in the future!

• By Steve H
      Found this in P.A in family farm . Looks like a broke golden arrowhead . Not sure any ideas . It's was about a foot in the ground  solid the whole way through and very heavy . 

• By Tnsharpshooter
      https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=3118425#post3118425
    • By phrunt
      I was looking around the new Minelab website and I noticed they now say the Equinox is single frequency on Gold Modes, is this some sort of error or are new Equinox 800's coming without multi-IQ on their gold modes?  I found nothing wrong with MultiIQ Gold modes so I don't see why they'd change it.
      https://www.minelab.com/metal-detectors/equinox-800
      Detect Modes
      Equally adaptable for all target types and ground conditions:
      Park Field Beach Gold: Gold Mode operates the high single frequencies of either 20 kHz or 40 kHz to detect gold nuggets in mineralised soils.  

• By dan_h
      Used Cherry Pick settings from the Handbook for  a brief session in a local park.  Found a penny, the handle of a spoon.  If it ever was silver plated, that is long gone.  Then found a quarter-sized disk, a token of some sort.  It says "Where a kid can be a kid" on both sides and one side was stamped OTTS.ORG.  I  just tried that website and it is apparently closed.  There was a message to the effect to leave your contact info if you have any business with this site.

Question:  is there something more than the Lesche Predator but less than a shovel -- a mini shovel, perhaps?