Pinpointer Question

My old Whites Bullseye II and Minelab Profind 35 detect about the same on small objects. Took a small silver bead size of a bb and they detect the same about 1" away. Bullseye did a little better. Larger objects like coins and bigger the Minelab does better. Few years back I built a stud finder that hits the bb at about 1/2" away haha.

Wish I had a PI to test with and let you know. Having a hunch what you already have is going to be about the same when it comes to tiny stuff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kac said:

My old Whites Bullseye II and Minelab Profind 35 detect about the same on small objects. Took a small silver bead size of a bb and they detect the same about 1" away. Bullseye did a little better. Larger objects like coins and bigger the Minelab does better. Few years back I built a stud finder that hits the bb at about 1/2" away haha.

Wish I had a PI to test with and let you know. Having a hunch what you already have is going to be about the same when it comes to tiny stuff.

Kac,

I really appreciate your thoughts. I am currently split between the TRX and F-Pulse.. In the end may go with the F-Pulse, though one can hardly go wrong with either. Have the ProPointer VLF already, so pairing that with the PI may be a good idea. 

Have at least a month before I need it. Snowing again right now, another foot or so by morning they say. 

I have a Minelab ProFind 35 and it seems to be a very sensitive pin pointer. It also has adjustable sensitivity. I've been very pleased with that little pointer. Now is it worth the price they want? Well I'm as tight with a dollar as anyone and think it would not hurt them to lower the price a wee bit.

When it comes to performance I can't complain about it, gets the job done. Wish I had a small piece of gold to test it against for you.

2 hours ago, RobNC said:

Now is it worth the price they want?

RobNC,

Thank you for your input. You raise an interesting question. Is it worth the price they want? It certainly is a fair question to ask. The price range for the pinpointers most seem to use is between $100-150 or so. Looking on Amazon we see the range starting at less than $25 for what look like Chinese knockoffs doing a darn good imitation of pinpointers costing a hundred dollars more. I bought a pinpointer from Harbor Freight once and was disappointed within minutes, but some of those on Amazon going so cheap look like they come from the same mold as Garrett Carrots and all the rest.

The problem with chinese copies are that they are just that.. copies. As much as it pains me to say and also for my wallet you really do get what you pay  for.  Believe me, I'm not someone with a lot of money but if I have to spend money ONCE I'd rather do that than have failure and need to replace something 6 months down the road. Heard good things about the Garrett Carrot too. Lots of people use them. I would not have an issue using one.

27 minutes ago, RobNC said:

Believe me, I'm not someone with a lot of money but if I have to spend money ONCE I'd rather do that than have failure and need to replace something 6 months down the road.

True enough. I bought a Harbor Freight pinpointer once that did not last a day. It was just too cheap to pass up, yet was a complete waste of money.

On 3/9/2019 at 6:24 PM, SLGuin said:

Kac,

I really appreciate your thoughts. I am currently split between the TRX and F-Pulse.. In the end may go with the F-Pulse, though one can hardly go wrong with either. Have the ProPointer VLF already, so pairing that with the PI may be a good idea. 

Have at least a month before I need it. Snowing again right now, another foot or so by morning they say. 

There's one more new model to keep an eye on now.  Nokta announced its PulseDive a few days ago, saying it would ship to dealers and distributors on April 1.  They announced it configured with a coil for $189 and without a coil (just a PI pinpointer) for $119.  We don't know yet if the street price will be the same or lower.  But at that price, the pinpointer is competitive (or better) with the others on the market.  I'll be curious to see early reviews and user feedback.  I hope to have one in my hands soon.

9 hours ago, TallTom said:

There's one more new model to keep an eye on now.  Nokta announced its PulseDive a few days ago

I agree, one to keep an eye on. I have never been all that loyal to specific brands, but like Makro. I wish they would make a PI, one would think based on what they have done so far that they might do a nice job of it. Especially if they waterproofed it like the Gold Kruzer. A person could be a full time wet/dry urban prospector with nothing more than one company's equipment.

It is remarkable how easy it is to talk oneself into more detectors no matter how many one owns already.

The specs on the PulseDive say it's waterproof to 200 feet (60 meters).  That should handle the rain just fine.

The idea is that it can be used by SCUBA divers, not just shallow water hunters.

• 2 weeks later...

The one and only I've used is a Minelab Pro-find 25. Very sensitive, its been good for me for clearing out surface junk signals quickly as it will sound off on smaller trash items up to 8" away. Good little sidekick.