Coil Covers; Do They Effect Sensitivity and Depth?

I have asked this question to many very good detectorists and have got varied answers. Some say yes on the tiny stuff and some say the protective cover isn't thick enough to ever be a concern. I have heard it said that its more likely to reduce depth / sensitivity on a VLF but not a PI. It would be nice to get some kind of consensus on this subject and thanks.......Rob

Not that I've ever noticed.  Only limiting factor that can happen with a coil cover is getting mineralized sands and dust in between the coil and the cover as it can cause falsing and chatter.  An eighth of an inch or less between the coil and a target really is pretty negligible but Iike you I have seen others, in the field and on forums, who feel that a cover somehow impacts performance.

• Like 1

Can`t say I`ve ever noticed any difference, just feel it would be very minimal.

My coil covers for beach use have been removed because they affect the signal by trapping water and black sand.  The nearness of this to the coil has the effect of making my signal fuzzy.  A nickel will not sound like a nickel and I will not get the depth when things are on the coil or trapped by the cover.  I rinse my coil often.

My detecting is more effective when the coil is removed.

If there is mineralized sand or other material trapped in the scuff cover it would not be good. But assuming area is clean the thickness of the average coil cover is minimal and unlikely to make any difference. The only detector I think it made a difference in is my Gold Bug 2 with 6" coil. When hitting tiny gold weighing less than 1/10th grain scrubbing the coil to get the gold as close as possible to the coil winding and not using a scuff cover is one of my tricks for getting a leg up on the competition. I thought about the same with my SDC 2300 but wearing out an expensive hardwired coil is not a realistic option.

People that prospect enough to wear out coils are wise to use scuff covers. Worn out coils lose all depth and efficiency! They cost even more to replace. Even more casual users will see a benefit at the time a detector is sold in better resale value.

Given the frequency that detectors operate at, it will have no effect on the sensitivity or depth. That said, how many detectors do you know of that will detect that small a piece? My Goldbug 2 with 6" coil has found many 1/10 grain pieces and I wouldn't be without a coil cover. I showed Chris Gholson a 1/10 grain piece that I found in Quartzsite with a Gold Bug Pro, and it had a cover on the 5" round coil. Use coil covers, don't wear out your coils.

Where can you get a hard white coil cover for the GB Pro?  We have to put shoe goo on the black cover to fill the holes we get from scrapping it.

The GB 2 coil cover will not fit.

Where can you get a hard white coil cover for the GB Pro? We have to put shoe goo on the black cover to fill the holes we get from scrapping it. The GB 2 coil cover will not fit.

A good Fisher dealer will stock the coil covers. If your dealer does not stock them then you will have to order from one that does.

I have never seen a black scuff cover for a Gold Bug however so maybe you are talking about an aftermarket coil? That would be a whole different problem if the coil manufacturer does not make a decent scuff cover for the coil.