Old Video To Help Some Newer VLF Gold Hunters

I get asked so many questions in the early Spring about Gold Detectors, one of my specialties.  To help some of you newer members to DetectorPropspector that use a Ground Balance capable VLF gold detector, this video I did a few years back on the White's GMT will help you.  Even if you have the newer Gold Monster 1000 with no Threshold, this video has some recovery tips to help.  Proper Coil Control and correct recovery tools are very important when trying to find tiny gold.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the link! I’ve been avoiding videos of other detectors trying not to get TOO confused but I see that may have been a mistake.

I do have a question about the video - it seems like the signal was MUCH quieter out of the ground waved across the top of the coil than in the ground. Is that due to how the coil operates? Or I’ve heard a little about halo effects in the ground....?

I’m now convinced I lost many pennies’ worth of tiny gold nuggets the last time I went out - small but repeatable signals I couldn’t find when I dug them up, thinking that the wobble in the threshold when I waved my scoop over the coil was just some sort of noise... ?

-Julie

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 8:31 PM, jinmon said:

Thanks for the link! I’ve been avoiding videos of other detectors trying not to get TOO confused but I see that may have been a mistake.

I do have a question about the video - it seems like the signal was MUCH quieter out of the ground waved across the top of the coil than in the ground. Is that due to how the coil operates? Or I’ve heard a little about halo effects in the ground....?

I’m now convinced I lost many pennies’ worth of tiny gold nuggets the last time I went out - small but repeatable signals I couldn’t find when I dug them up, thinking that the wobble in the threshold when I waved my scoop over the coil was just some sort of noise... ?

-Julie

Julie,  Both sides of the coil will hear the target.  I imagine when running the coil over the nugget (when on the ground), my coil was much closer to the ground where the picker of gold lay.  When it was in the cup, I was off of the coil some.  try to keep the coil as close to the ground when swinging and when a target is in cup or plastic scoop, be sure to do the same thing.  That is why you see on some coils, a few scuffs and rub marks on the top of the coil. 

The attached photo is from the White's 24" small 6" round coil when I was testing it.  You'll notice little black nick marks/scuffs across the coil "horizontal".

I like to have a slight hum of threshold at all times and that way it is easier for me to hear the change from a potential target.

24K5C.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

excellant!

• Like 1

I just watched the video.  Were the power lines above you working at the time?

You could show this video any time someone says you can't detect under power lines!

Well done.

Mitchel

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I just watched the video.  Were the power lines above you working at the time?

You could show this video any time someone says you can't detect under power lines!

Well done.

Mitchel

You bring up a good point.  I'll have to check when I go back up there.  Good catch.

What a great video Gerry, lots of useful information, thanks for taking the time to create and share.  Makes me wanna get out and find some gold.

Brian.

• Like 1

I have to say one of the places I’ve been going in the Cajon Pass is under giant power lines - some of the biggest towers I’ve ever seen. You can hear them crackle. I haven’t found any gold yet with the Equinox but I’ve found some tiny tiny birdshot, so it seems the power lines aren’t interfering that much if at all! ? I do occasionally hear the threshold get a bit of static through it when I’m there - not sure if it’s the power lines causing that or not but it’s not been a problem. At least if it has, I’m too new to know! ?

Liking this Equinox 800, @Gerry in Idaho... ☺️

-Julie

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jinmon said:

I have to say one of the places I’ve been going in the Cajon Pass is under giant power lines - some of the biggest towers I’ve ever seen. You can hear them crackle. I haven’t found any gold yet with the Equinox but I’ve found some tiny tiny birdshot, so it seems the power lines aren’t interfering that much if at all! ? I do occasionally hear the threshold get a bit of static through it when I’m there - not sure if it’s the power lines causing that or not but it’s not been a problem. At least if it has, I’m too new to know! ?

Liking this Equinox 800, @Gerry in Idaho... ☺️

-Julie

I've been to that group of claims once.  I found a coil cover for something like a Gold Bug Pro down in the bottom of the river/wash but I haven't been back.  Oh, watch out for the ticks there.  I had one on my clothes when I left.  It didn't bite me.

Julie, a much 'easier' place to use a detector and find some little nuggets are on the claims around Randsburg and LDMA.  You don't have to deal with all that vegetation and stuff.  There are two or three clubs around there and they still find gold.  One of them is the OC 49'ers.  When you get up to the 395 at Hesperia just go north about 20 miles.  You can read about those claims up there online.

Mitchel

• Thanks 1