High Number War Nickel

Just dug two the other day that read high.  A 43s that ids a 19 and a 42p that ids 16.  I figured it was due to corrosion as they were under a concrete slab for 30-40 years but they still id high out of the ground. All the wheats ided low there and most of the silver I dug is toasted with corrosion. Strangely enough I dug 6 buffalo nickels that are in the best shape of any coins I dug there???? 

• Like 4

• 11 months later...

On 3/7/2019 at 8:29 PM, Tometusns said:

Well, after reading about the high number war nickels I finally got one at an old fairground in Kansas. Hits a solid 21.I was sure surprised to see a nickel in the hole. It's a 1943 s.

15520084652172966947959673490313.jpg

This is so interesting, I had to look through my war nickels and find a 43 S and test on my Equinox.

Most of the war nickels I've found were located and dug with other detectors, with only a few found recently with my Equinox.  Well anyway, my Equinox ID the nickel at 15.  All my other war nickels were 12-13.  Interesting, I may need to rethink all the 14-15 ID's I've passed by especially at the older school locations.  I also looked up the war nickel information in the Red Book and there is no mention of changing the composition from Copper 56%, Silver 35% and manganese 9%. 

• Like 1

Hey Mark, war nickels are a mysterious coin...lol. I have found quite a few with the Equinox and the numbers have varied quite a bit but that particular one was really high. 

There have been a lot of theories about why but I like the simple one where they either just didn't have the correct amount of each component or it didn't cook, mix or whatever they do when making it long enough to evenly distribute the ingredients. Human error in other words. No one really knows for certain.

I was sure proud of this one when I found it. I don't think they come along often. I'm sad to say I haven't found as many war nickels as I used to but I'm sure the answer is my getting lazy and not digging as many targets in the pull tab range. Good luck and HH! Tom

• Like 1

Looked through all my war nickels and tested all the S mint coins.  All read 13 except the 1943's. Interesting.

• Like 1