High Number War Nickel

Well, after reading about the high number war nickels I finally got one at an old fairground in Kansas. Hits a solid 21.I was sure surprised to see a nickel in the hole. It's a 1943 s.

15520084652172966947959673490313.jpg

• Like 4

Worn but very nice?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tometusns said:

I finally got one at an old fairground in Kansas.

Kansas is next to Oklahoma.  Are we really seeing a pattern here?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alluminati said:

Thanks for clearing that up.

Sure!  That small subset of the "silver" nickels is really odd...

Steve

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alluminati said:

Perhaps in your country.

This thread is called high number war nickle, I just figured its a spin off of another thread with you guys debating why a coin has a slightly higher TID then the rest.

Ok, I guess I misunderstood what you thought was confusing, but I was also familiar with the two other long-time threads that had been contnuously discussing this issue so there was no doubt in my mind about what Tom was saying.  Funny, I can now see that depending on your frame of refrence you could find the original post perfectly clear or totally confusing, especially when it comes to the nuances of foriegn or US coinage.  Nevertheless,  war nickel or not it was a high VDI for a nickel (denomination) coin.  The use of the term "nickel" is a misnomer in this case because it is related more to the denomination of the coin than it's metallic makeup.

• Like 1

Here are a couple that will confuse you.

My first ever war nik was high reading of 23-25. The few after that were solid 13-14.

The one on the left is 13-14 and the one on the right is 23-25....both are '43 S.

I read somewhere that it was at the discretion of the mint to ever so slightly bump up the silver content. I believe I read it this way but I could be wrong or forgot the details of what I read.  

600x469 a.jpg

600x482 b.jpg

• Like 1

There was a lengthy discussion about war nickles on the dankowski forum and it was concluded that during the war time there were significant variances from the typically noted 35% silver, 9% manganese, and 56% copper composition.  San Francisco was a major contributor to WW2 building ships, subs, munitions, etc., so I don't doubt that there were times the mint simply couldn't stick to the formula due to war time needs. 

• Like 2

I don't know if the mint makes the planchet or they have a company make them. But either way it's obvious there are variances in the mix. Which just makes our hobby a little more interesting. 

• Like 2