Persistance Pays Off

12 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Chase, if I put out a message showing that chain, I would have a hundred people a day telling me that those are their kids names :rolleyes:. 

That's why I said do your own research (i.e., google it) to see if something obvious came up.  I guess as a relic hunter, that is all part of the fun.  You get a unique clue here or there on part of an ID tag or other personal object and see what pops up.  The runner's medal posted last week had a great story, of course there was a boatload of identifying info on the medal.  Keep it to yourself to keep the losers away.  It was more about curiosity and detective work than a ring finders thing (i.e., more about tracking down the back story from the personal identifying nature of the item than about tracking down and returning a gold bracelet, could have been stainless as far as I'm concerned).  Since it was gold/personalized, if you just happen to find a 100% certain match so you can actually re-unite it with the owner perhaps some good feelings as an unlikely side benefit.  But that wasn't my main point, so no need posting boos or educating me on why that is typically not a practical exercise 99.9% of the time.  I hunt beaches and parks too , so I know the drill.  I also get why many folks would have no interest in doing such research, just putting it out there.

For example, the find below turned out to be a relatively modern era brass Army unit insignia badge (originally thought it was a hunt club pin found in a field giving up colonial buttons and spanish silver) and that context made complete sense after the fact based on where it was found and the history of the property (a previous tenant of the property nearby).  Not possible, nor worth it, to return, but at least I had a back story and some fun tracking it down.

20190218_145609 1.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I remember a post about nickel ratios in parks vs gold, so I'm including my ratio. It is way off of what a park gets and what some other beaches get, but if you hit the right area, you can get these results. 20 nickels dug (including 1 silver war nickel) vs 3 pieces of gold.

Great hunt!  It appears your silver coin to total coin ratio is high as well.  I'm assuming your first pic shows all the junk coins.  How many Wheaties, or are those too difficult to find/identify after being in salt water so long?

• Like 1

Wow I go to work and all hell breaks loose LOL. Chase, I didn't mean anything by saying what I said about returning the item. I would of course return any item I could verify proper ownership. But there is really not enough info there to satisfy me. I did Google (actually Bing) it, but I think I remember reading search engines give priority to most popular and not most accurate word search these days. So if someone posted they lost it, that would probably be on page 1000. :sad:It did not turn up any results for me when I searched it, but I did not spend a lot of time going deep into the pages. I have returned 2 nice rings but both were known losses and I was able to find them for the owners.  As far as the booing part, I took it as a light hearted joke and not a serious jab at you. All is good I hope

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Great hunt!  It appears your silver coin to total coin ratio is high as well.  I'm assuming your first pic shows all the junk coins.  How many Wheaties, or are those too difficult to find/identify after being in salt water so long?

Thanks. The silver count was a nice bonus to a really great day. I usually can ID the wheats, with only a few exceptions. This hunt I did not separate the memorials vs wheats. I did remember that I saw only about 5 wheats, with the majority as copper memorials. I think only 3 zincs in the bunch. But this hunt is a example of how layered the beach really is. Most of the coins were probably lost early to mid 1960's. Some newer coins were found close by and there is always a crossover in layers. Because of that layer, I got more silver than usual. Move up just 10 years and the silver count would drop, as well as the wheat count too.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Wow I go to work and all hell breaks loose LOL. Chase, I didn't mean anything by saying what I said about returning the item. I would of course return any item I could verify proper ownership. But there is really not enough info there to satisfy me. I did Google (actually Bing) it, but I think I remember reading search engines give priority to most popular and not most accurate word search these days. So if someone posted they lost it, that would probably be on page 1000. :sad:It did not turn up any results for me when I searched it, but I did not spend a lot of time going deep into the pages. I have returned 2 nice rings but both were known losses and I was able to find them for the owners.  As far as the booing part, I took it as a light hearted joke and not a serious jab at you. All is good I hope

Lol.  I'm back on my meds now.  Much better.  Anyway, sorry to lose focus on the main point of the thread, your great finds.  The old coins you constently find on your beach runs always amaze me.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

...This hunt is a example of how layered the beach really is. Most of the coins were probably lost early to mid 1960's. Some newer coins were found close by and there is always a crossover in layers. Because of that layer, I got more silver than usual. Move up just 10 years and the silver count would drop, as well as the wheat count too.

What you've emphasized and illustrated is that beach hunting is very different than dry land coin & jewelry hunting.  The persistant erosion effects of the surf expose and hide the time constrained layers of drops.  This is not something typically encountered on dry land coin/jewelry/relic sites, except for the extreme cases of reworking the soil by scrapes and backfill which sporadically (on the order of decades) occur with development.  (Exception occurs in farm fields with their annual tilling, although that is more consistent in both time and space.)  I don't know how to rank beach hunting vs. nugget hunting in terms of complexity (one is temporal = time variable and the other spatial = location variable) but both have subtlties that reward the experienced, observant detectorist.  I appreciate the explanation and understanding that you and other beach hunters share.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Not one person in this thread said that they do that so I have no idea who "you" is and my point was about curiosity of a the story behind the item,  not necessarly returning it.  Should have used a term other than "track down",  I guess.  Plus it looks like Mitchel got maligned again with an out of context misquote or something, so confusion reigns, lol.

I don't feel maligned ... it's just not anything I said.  haha  No worries

Again?  Now that has me ... ?

• Like 1