Relic Hunting With The Nox 800

Dan(NM)

I'm more of a coin guy, but, I've been wanting to hit this spot because my buddy has taken out a couple of Dragoon buttons.  I met up with a couple of guys today for a relic hunt at a fort that was occupied from the early 1850's to the early 1860's, unfortunately one guy had to cut his hunt short due to a plumbing problem.  He did manage to score a couple of nice relics before he had to head out. I started out using the CTX, but, due to the excessive amount of iron, I ended up using the Equinox which performed wonderfully.

This was my first time to hunt here, so, I wasn't sure what to expect, but, it turned out better than I thought. Ended up with a nice assortment of finds, the better ones were the Eagle button and the medallion thing with the guys face on it. Not sure, but, we think it may have had a ribbon attached through the eyelets on each side. I believe next time I'm back, I'll use the 6" coil on the Eqhinox to try and work through the iron a little easier than the 11"  

I'm also going to take a magnet, some of the bits of wire and iron were almost too small for me to see without my glasses. I was amazed at how well the 800 hit the small items among the iron debris.  90% of the targets hit between 10 and 15, a couple rang higher, the brass rivets and the 3 ringer hit between 18-22. The thing with the guy on it hit at 10-11 solid.  My setting were as follows:

Park 2

2-tones

Tone break at +8 thru 40

Sensitivity  22

Recover 7

Iron bias  0

Ground balance  0

No disc used ran it wide open

IMG_8148.JPG

IMG_8158.JPG

IMG_8151.JPG

IMG_8152.JPG

IMG_8149.JPG

IMG_8153.JPG

IMG_8154.JPG

IMG_8155.JPG

IMG_8156.JPG

IMG_8157.JPG

• Like 9

Anyone who offers you up a chance at finding Dragoon buttons gets my vote :smile: What a great hunt. You found a nice assortment of finds, enough for a nice display case. Nice quality finds. You must have dug a lot of holes. That is the only way to get used to the Equinox. Sweet hunt!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Anyone who offers you up a chance at finding Dragoon buttons gets my vote :smile: What a great hunt. You found a nice assortment of finds, enough for a nice display case. Nice quality finds. You must have dug a lot of holes. That is the only way to get used to the Equinox. Sweet hunt!

We hunted for 7 hours, I had to leave because my battery died. I brought Nox as a backup for the CTX and didn't bother to charge the battery because I hadn't planned on using it ?  That will not be the case next time ?   And yes, we dug a ton of holes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very good finds and details on the settings.  Those brass rivets get my heart pumping each time, as they are usually nice high tones and #'s, but I realize you set it for 2 tone.  Keep at it.