There Is No Gold In California

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:46 PM, jinmon said:

SUCCESS!!! That Kevin guy might know a thing or two about metal detecting for lead, if only he’d stop pretending he’s talking about gold. Check out my haul from a few hours in the claims at Cajon Pass (note this is only the small stuff - I was already an expert in finding shell casings from an hour on Lytle Creek):

Just one more thing, I might add.  Really check your lead that you find.  Sometimes native copper nuggets can look a LOT like lead.  It was pretty cool when a friend of mine recently showed me what I thought was a piece of lead.  A small scratch on the side of it showed it to be a copper nugget.  And copper travels in gold areas too.  I now have to go through my bucket of lead to see if I threw in any copper nuggets.  LOL.

But, yes.  The gold is much more fun to find.  And I can tell you will be doing that soon.  Good luck to ya!

DSCN1829.thumb.JPG.87e09eb6f1aced5017259c7398fabec5.JPGI would love to participate a forum outing. I'll be in CA in Sep 2019. Attached a picture of my AZ finds. The burro shoe and the grandsons of the original owner...for me the best thing in prospecting is camping in a tent, Joe's special coffee with that little "extra" in the morning and spending time with friends and making new friends. If I found a nice nugget in AZ but did not have such a good time the nugget could not make up for that. Julie, if the good lord grants us more years to be on this beautiful earth and if we both put our time in we both will find gold.

DSCN1851.JPG

• Like 2

On 3/11/2019 at 5:22 PM, mn90403 said:

Dave,

You are not old enough to have been detecting in the 80's!  You right about Lytle Creek.  I was there last year and put my pick with a magnet down in one place and got 30 steel casing on it and could have had 100 more if there had been room on the magnet.

Julie, Dave is a guy you could learn a lot from about meteorites, gold and metal detectors.  If you ever get a chance to go to an outing where he and his dad are going to be you should go.  It may not be in California.

Dave, invite her for a hunt.  It will change the way she thinks about gold.

Mitchel

Thanks for compliment Mitch.... Im older than you think , hehe... pushin 50 soon.... ? I grew up in Riverside, California,  I lived back in all the hills all around Riverside off roading, detecting, ect in the 80's and 90s. , the old man still lives there.

Steve runs a pretty good forum here, and love all the people here with their advice. Julie, like Mitch said,  if your ever in the Vegas area, send me a message, could take you at to some spots to detect, also if you ever get a chance to get out with Mitchel hes very knowledgeable in almost everything from beach hunting to gold and meteorite hunting.... and hes probably closer to you than me. Hope you get the coil over some gold, so you can post on here, love seeing finds...

Theres still gold in California, just need more patience with so many bullets and trash.

Dave

On 3/11/2019 at 6:35 PM, Jimmy M said:

Julie, master your machine, employ the operating tips found in "Advanced Nuggetshooting," at the locations shown in "Gold Nugget Areas of Southern California," and one day, while digging a target, cursing those lying members of this forum who falsely claim they have found gold with a detector, as you spot that golden gleam in your palm, the dark clouds above you will part, the heavens will open, streams of light will beam down upon you, and you will hear the Hallelujah chorus, and all will be well in your corner of the world. :}

Or, if the foregoing doesn't actually happen, you'll likely shout "Well, its ABOUT TIME""

HH Jim

When I found my largest nugget I still remember my first thought: "Finally..." 

Don't give up Julie I can almost promise it will come out of nowhere. It will sound perhaps like another birdshot hit, or a piece of junk, but instead, there in your scoop, will be a beauty.

• Like 3