Sign in to follow this  
kiwijw

A Quick Sunday Afternoon Detect

Nice one J.W.! I have a feeling that those of us in California will be having a similar overgrowth problem this year with the crazy amounts of rain and snowfall we have been receiving. 

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

WTG, hanging in there on that piece JW.

• Thanks 1

Awesome job, congrats sir.

• Thanks 1

That's a big sucker too, nice!  It looks like that growth is with the "touch me and I'll stab you to death with my fine hair spikes" plants.

I learnt the hard way not to pull them out by hand.

• Haha 1

That’s gorgeous!!! 🙂 Congrats!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AU_Solitude said:

Nice one J.W.! I have a feeling that those of us in California will be having a similar overgrowth problem this year with the crazy amounts of rain and snowfall we have been receiving. 

Two years ago there was a lot of rain.  Last year there was a lot less rain but a lot of fires.  We are having a lot of rain again this year so watch out in 2 years or so areas that have not burned in the last 10 years.  We did have a long drought.

There is one other ingredient plants need in quantity in addition to rain.  That would be CO2.  It has been increasing in the atmosphere and there is more plant growth (just like fertilizer) as a result.  This is independent of temperatures because some areas are colder and some are warmer than normal but have increased growth.

I'll just add this article about the records set this year which exceed 2017.

https://www.sierrasun.com/news/local/februburied-record-snowfall-stacks-up-in-sierra-nevada-at-truckee-tahoe-resorts/ 

Mitchel

• Like 1

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

It looks like that growth is with the "touch me and I'll stab you to death with my fine hair spikes" plants.

I learnt the hard way not to pull them out by hand.

:laugh:😂🤣 Yes Simon....you are correct. It is that very plant. They still got me, I don't even know how as I avoid touching them as much as possible. I certainly don't pull them out by hand. Not unless I have my leather gloves with me, which I  didn't that day. There were heaps of thistles too that had done their full cycle & were spreading their seed everywhere. Look out next year. :rolleyes: The thistles got me to as in some places I just had to walk through them.

JW :smile:

When seeing the water down below in the canyon, most prospectors would stay low.  The photo of your dig and the gold on bedrock just goes to prove...gold is where you find it.  Nice pics and nugget.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By phoenix
      I`m still not getting out for a great deal of hours and it is ages since I got a nice piece at depth but I went out for about 1½ hours yesterday and got one similar to the last one I got. The bottom one is yesterdays piece. It was only 1" down and a very iffy signal with the 7000. These two came from 2 different spots maybe 5 miles apart.

• By Mop
      New PB for me 35 grams, bit over a foot deep, very happy! 😀😀

• By Goldseeker5000
      One Guy and myself went on the first detecting trip of the year this past Thursday and we were gone til Sunday. I got to the location and headed up the road only to find the road was snowed in for the last 2 miles and was unpassable. I turned around and drove back to the highway to wait for One Guy to show up. When he did, I told him we were out of luck and too early so we decided to go in thru the lower road. We got close to the placer working and knocked on a door of a house closeby to ask who owns the property the tailings were on and low and behold this was the lucky house. We got permission to hunt and camp on 130 acres of dry land dredged ground on a hillside and the next day the  nice gentleman got us permission on another landowners property bordering his. So now we had 1030 acres of gold placer ground to hunt on. It was tuff ground to find any nuggets on as I believed it was too far down the drainage to find many nuggets but on Saturday at 1:00 I found the first one of the year and it was the second one with my new 5000. I was using the Sadie  coil. I love that little coil. I got plenty of shots for the cover of my book. I did not find any more nuggets the rest of the trip and One Guy got skunked. We even had to detect thru a couple snow squalls and the night time temps got down to 19 and 20 degrees which made for cold sleeping conditions in the back of our trucks. All in all it was a good trip that started out bad but turned out good for the first trip of the year.

• By phoenix
      goldEn is back in town for a couple of weeks and managed to get out my place for a couple of days.  Today we went to a Ironbark forest where there was a little bit of surfacing so goldEn could use the 2300 and I detected in the forrest with the 7000.  I got one of those really iffy signals that I thought was ground noise and when I approached it at 90º I couldn`t hear it at all.I scraped a bit of dirt and same thing, could hear it one way but not the other.  As the hole got deeper the signal seemed to move in the hole. First it was in one spot, then in another spot and it never sounded like a real target.  When I finally got it out of the hole I couldn`t hear it at all, but I move a bit a bit of dirt and I can hear something, move a bit more dirt and I couldn`t hear it again.   From when I first detected it to holding it in my fingers was about 15 minutes and it goes a whopping 0.12 gram and is about ¼" long.
      Good to see you again goldEn 🙂

• By Smithsgold
      Recirculating Sluice

Testing a Recirculating Sluice and the  April Update on what we have going on . Sneak peek at our next video !!!!
      Hope you enjoy the video,
       Jeff