Equinox 800 Auto Ground Tracking Vs Manual Pumping Coil

Horst

Dear fellow hunters,

I am running my new Nox 800 for about 2 months now. Trying to go out nearly every day for 2-4 hours. I did find some nice coins and other cool stuff and some not so cool stuff. Learning the detector is fun. I found a several times when being in AUTO ground tracking the machine got a little loud/unstable. When I looked up the ground tracking it was telling me a number in the 90ies. Switching off AUTO and do manual tracking (pumping the coil) the machine went quiet at 12. I was expecting the AUTO ground tracking to be "up to date".

Did you make similar experiences?

• Like 3

Hi Horst,

my ground mineralization is really bad. I have never used ground tracking.........and I have never just turned on my Nox and starting detecting. I have always done a coil pumping ground balance.

It is great to hear that you are able to detect with your 800 almost every day. Many of us here in the US still have frozen ground or are just thawing out with another blizzard on the way for some of us!!!!! 

good luck

Jeff

• Like 2

For me the key to using ground tracking is that the ground must be highly variable. It is not how highly mineralized the ground is but how variable it is that matters. If the ground is relatively homogenous I don’t see a need to track the ground and in fact I would tend to recommend against it.

In very low mineral / low salt ground there may not be enough mineral content to track to and the machine could run away with itself as you have described.

• Like 9

Tracking can mess you up if you're detecting around a lot of iron as the detector will start to track to the iron (nails). I've found that unless I'm hunting in highly variable mineralized ground, the detector works best by doing a manual GB, or just turning it on and hunting works better than using tracking. 

• Like 8

many thanks for your very helpful replies. Yes, I am hunting on some iron contaminated ground as it seems that the german farmers burried all trash in their fields.......makes good sense that the machine tries to track into the trash

On March 12, 2019 at 8:34 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

For me the key to using ground tracking is that the ground must be highly variable. It is not how highly mineralized the ground is but how variable it is that matters. If the ground is relatively homogenous I don’t see a need to track the ground and in fact I would tend to recommend against it.

In very low mineral / low salt ground there may not be enough mineral content to track to and the machine could run away with itself as you have described.

Up in the foot hills there are some areas where the ground varies every 5 feet :biggrin: and the machine needed to be re manual ground balanced every 5 feet! so I gave up and switched to tracking and the machine ran better. Not perfect but better.

In the ground down here in the bay area I do a manual ground balance as needed and the machine runs nice and smooth. When I get into a bunch of nails sometimes it's hard to find a clear spot to to a manual ground balance so I'll try the turn on and go method and just forget about ground balance.......sometimes ignorance is bliss as they say 

strick

• Like 5