Holy ____!  I'd be shaking if I found an 1918/17-S Standing Liberty.  Not that it means anything, but that is my favorite 'error' coin of all time.

Take a look at the VF-35 graded coin here. 

https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/SLQe/Grades

It's an 8/7.  Look at the weakness on the 'ER' of 'QUARTER DOLLAR'.  That's likely a die weakness which helps authenticate your coin, not that there is much doubt with how strong the overdate is.  I'm not going to try and grade this from your photos, but it's safe to say if you sell it you can buy any modern production MD short of the GPZ7000 (ok, probably not a GPX5000, either, but I'm not feeling sorry for you 😁).

BTW, in terms of rarity this probably isn't close to being up there with the 1850's and 1860's -S mintmarked quarters that have been shown here in the last few weeks.  But in terms of value it's probably well above those.  This is a good example of demand.  Lots of collectors out there want an 18/17-S Standing Liberty.

"Find of a lifetime" may be turning into a cliche'.  But consider this -- you might be the only person ever to find one of these with a metal detector.

I don't know what else I can say, except be proud and enjoy!

• Like 7

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks fellas. Once i looked it up i just wrapped it in tissue did not even rinse off the dirt so i guess ill send it in to be cleaned and graded by pcgs. Never did this before so its all very interesting and fun. I hear if you join then you get something like 2-3 free evaluations....

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, strick said:

...did not even rinse off the dirt...

Smart man, and even more patient and disciplined.  Lots of people rub the heck out of the coin in the field and then rationalize "I knew it wasn't going to be worth much...."  This is an example where they would have been wrong, wrong, wrong, and very costly.  You did well and you deserve whatever it turns out to be worth, whether you keep it, sell it, whatever.  I'm still in awe that you found this coin.  If someone told me s/he read a post on a website that someone found a 1918/17-S quarter in this condition while metal detecting I wouldn't have believed them.

• Like 3

I'm gonna quit going on-and-on about this find someday, but not today!  Take a look at this recent auction result:

https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/item/1918-7-s-25c/5726/708416142091251220

Compare the stars on the shield and especially the date.  A lot depends upon how your coin cleans up, but if well then yours blows away this one in terms of attractiveness.  Your coin has such a strong date.

• Like 1

Wow!! Incredible find, very sweet my friend!

• Like 1

Congratulations strick, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! I like that weird sun thing too!

Thanks for all your posts also GB_Amateur, as if you didn't post all that info I'd have no idea what to be excited about 🙂

He's been on a roll lately.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

I have only one piece of advice, go buy a couple lottery tickets! 👍😀

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By devilsrenegade
      I was in Spokane Washington recently and the weather was finally nice and some of the snow had melted and l had a couple hrs. to kill so I grabbed the xterra 705 with a CORS strike multi freq. coil and went to work in a vacant lot in a old neighborhood the city had cleared of houses. about 20 min. into it this barber dime popped out of the ground. The lot was extremely trashy , l ran the 705 in 7.5 khz, discriminate all metal with 99 tones. I was getting iron tones every couple inches but still managed to pull this coin with the big coil. My first silver coin of 2019.  Just wanted to share . Best of luck this year to everyone on the forum !

• By Gerry in Idaho
      Pulled a few dodads & a dime. Also something similar to a buckle but has the word REEDS stamped over a bee. Says "Buy Reed Craft Bags", I think? If anyone can tell more about this find I sure would appreciate it, so share to your fellow beepers & history buffs.

• By DeltaDigger
      Groundscanner and I stumbled upon a spot and I pulled these three 1850 era half dimes out. I’m guessing the flat piece of lead with the “X” scratched in it is some type of game piece. Pretty good day. I was running the Nox on field 2. Thanks for looking!

• By SnohomishDigger
      Went to a park in a nearby town for the first time. I’ve been told it’s totally hunted out. Well, someone missed this 1907 V nickel. It was positioned a couple inches from a piece of trash metal. The 6-inch coil on my Nox 600 sniffed it out, no problem.

• By Dan(NM)
      I'm not sure where to start, I had an epic day that I never thought I'd see. There are some things you never figure you'll dig and when you least expect it.... BAM!!! I met up with a fellow hunter to do a little relic hunting at a old fort site. His day started off with an 1846 Mexican 1/4 reale and then an awesome button, which he ended up finding 2 of. I started off with the usual lead and percussion caps and finally a 1846 Mexican reale as well. I was having a frustrating start with my wireless earbuds cutting out and the other pair not working at all. I tried using wired earbuds on the Equinox, but kept pulling them out almost everytime I set my machine down. Jimmy let me use his ML80's and that helped me settle down and get some serious hunting done.
      Jimmy ended up leaving after a few hours and I told him I was going to hunt for another hour and then head to the house. My goal was to at least find a couple of nice buttons to make a day of it, little did I know the fun was about to begin within the next 30 minutes. I worked my way around to the other side of where we had parked, and started finding more lead and a few more percussion caps. I got a screaming 25-26 hit on the Nox, I dug down about 8" and figured I had hit a can or something. I covered the hole, but, thought to myself..... that could be a buckle. I redug the hole and finally pried out a top of an old aluminum can. About 15 minutes later I get an almost identical signal, 25-27, but, when I pinpointed it sounded different. My thought was I was digging a silver coin at depth, so....I was quite a bit more careful with this hole. Almost 8" down I pop out a huge round thing it didn't register what it was until I picked it up and felt the weight. Then it hit me......no freaking possible way!!!
      I saw the back first, then turned it over, the front had about a 1/4" of dirt caked on it, I carefully rubbed it and there it was My first Union breatplate, something I only dreamed of finding and now there it was in my hand Thank God I didn't dig it like I had dug the other target, no dig marks on either side. Jimmy had found a US buckle a couple of years before, now, I had me a breastplate, something I never thought I dig.

• By Tometusns
      Well, after reading about the high number war nickels I finally got one at an old fairground in Kansas. Hits a solid 21.I was sure surprised to see a nickel in the hole. It's a 1943 s.