Holy ____!  I'd be shaking if I found an 1918/17-S Standing Liberty.  Not that it means anything, but that is my favorite 'error' coin of all time.

Take a look at the VF-35 graded coin here. 

https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/SLQe/Grades

It's an 8/7.  Look at the weakness on the 'ER' of 'QUARTER DOLLAR'.  That's likely a die weakness which helps authenticate your coin, not that there is much doubt with how strong the overdate is.  I'm not going to try and grade this from your photos, but it's safe to say if you sell it you can buy any modern production MD short of the GPZ7000 (ok, probably not a GPX5000, either, but I'm not feeling sorry for you ?).

BTW, in terms of rarity this probably isn't close to being up there with the 1850's and 1860's -S mintmarked quarters that have been shown here in the last few weeks.  But in terms of value it's probably well above those.  This is a good example of demand.  Lots of collectors out there want an 18/17-S Standing Liberty.

"Find of a lifetime" may be turning into a cliche'.  But consider this -- you might be the only person ever to find one of these with a metal detector.

I don't know what else I can say, except be proud and enjoy!

• Like 9

Thanks fellas. Once i looked it up i just wrapped it in tissue did not even rinse off the dirt so i guess ill send it in to be cleaned and graded by pcgs. Never did this before so its all very interesting and fun. I hear if you join then you get something like 2-3 free evaluations....

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, strick said:

...did not even rinse off the dirt...

Smart man, and even more patient and disciplined.  Lots of people rub the heck out of the coin in the field and then rationalize "I knew it wasn't going to be worth much...."  This is an example where they would have been wrong, wrong, wrong, and very costly.  You did well and you deserve whatever it turns out to be worth, whether you keep it, sell it, whatever.  I'm still in awe that you found this coin.  If someone told me s/he read a post on a website that someone found a 1918/17-S quarter in this condition while metal detecting I wouldn't have believed them.

• Like 2

I'm gonna quit going on-and-on about this find someday, but not today!  Take a look at this recent auction result:

https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/item/1918-7-s-25c/5726/708416142091251220

Compare the stars on the shield and especially the date.  A lot depends upon how your coin cleans up, but if well then yours blows away this one in terms of attractiveness.  Your coin has such a strong date.

• Like 2

Sweet relics 

• Like 1