Have Any Of You Altered Your Equinox Rod?

Bayard

Gw -- so, you say it can be "anywhere," but with anywhere meaning as long as it is on the bottom of the shaft, not the top.

So, I would then ask "what about seeing the screen," but my guess is that you would say you don't use/need a screen, and hunt exclusively by ear?  And my guess is that you have "hip-mounted" or "chest-mounted" machines in the past?

Steve

• Like 1

Had no problem using the Whites meter.  But no, a screen is not a must but controls are. This is something that should have been addressed at the factory as the way things are situated now to re-engineer would be pointless. 

If I had a J shaped rod I think I could attach the Nox control unit as a extension of the J.

On 12/21/2021 at 11:14 AM, steveg said:

Hey all!

So, I have a prototype S-shaft ready to go, for an Equinox.  With this shaft (similar to the way an F75 is set up), you would still attach the control box/handle assembly to the shaft -- just "behind" the "S-handle."  In other words, with this shaft, you would not use the S-handle as your "handle."  For the version of this shaft that I'll be making for Garrett units, you WOULD use the "S-handle," but not with the Equinox.

In any case, the prototype is not set up for counterweight attachment, BUT, it certainly could be.  And since the S-shaft configuration likely will not "solve" the balance issues (but may perhaps help some), I do expect that for anyone who uses a straight shaft with counterweighting, they will probably want to use the S-shaft with at least SOME counterweight (albeit perhaps less) as well.  In any case though, I thought that for initial testing, a non-counterweighted S-shaft would be the better way to go.

I have a couple of folks who have expressed interest in testing the shaft; my plan is to send out for testing, and then ask that person to send it along to either another person who wishes to test it, or back to me.  Anyone who tests it, likes it, and would like to purchase one, would receive a discount off the regular price.

Here is a picture of the finished prototype...

Steve

S-shaft_prototype.JPG

Like it, similar to the Garrett AT & Makro Racer shaft/handle. Take a look at the Minelab Xterra 705. The shaft angles down with a 2 1/2 to 3 inch offset, the control unit handle sets at the top of the offset. Just move the upper joint connection below the end of the offset.

D927ABE1-2C40-46FC-8E53-0F85A532E2B1.jpeg

On 12/21/2021 at 6:03 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

I fixed that problem with self fusing silicone bicycle handlebar tape. Comes off clean if you need to remove it and gives you a nice grippy surface so your hand doesn'y slip around, with or without gloves.

Silicone Handebar Tape

I've tried a lot of different tapes (bike, badmington..).. didn't help much. At the moment I use a 3D printed grip stopper, but that's no "end-solution" either. Maybe an angle compensating mounting bracket / shim would help, but I've been too lazy to design one in CAD, yet :ph34r:

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 11:02 AM, HardPack said:

Like it, similar to the Garrett AT & Makro Racer shaft/handle. Take a look at the Minelab Xterra 705. The shaft angles down with a 2 1/2 to 3 inch offset, the control unit handle sets at the top of the offset. Just move the upper joint connection below the end of the offset.

D927ABE1-2C40-46FC-8E53-0F85A532E2B1.jpeg

Bit confused on my end.  You've rotated the middle shaft section 180 degrees from the factory intended orientation.  Was this to illustrate Gwcracker's "parallel to the ground" comment?

In general the S-shaft is designed so that the coil is in line with the detectorist's arm (i.e. the up position).  One advantage of that is to minimize the torsion placed on the wrist when swinging.

With Steve’s prototype “S” shaft the Equinox control unit mounts between the bottom of the “S” curve and the arm cuff with a upward offset of approximately 41/2 to 5 inches. That should transfer to coil pressure to the bottom of your arm at the cuff. In my opinion the advantage is the control unit drops down for better ground & coil viewing plus is probably less top heavy.

The ML Xterra “S” shaft offset downward approximately 2 3/4 inches which does transfer load pressure to the bottom of your arm at the cuff. 

You will have to ask Gwcracker for clarification. However some White detectors have the control box mounted to the bottom of the shaft. The TDI SL the control box is mounted below the shaft between the lower end of the “S” shaft and arm cuff.