Have Any Of You Altered Your Equinox Rod?

Bayard

I have had a 600 for over a year now.  There is much to like about the detector; however, the ergonomics are something of a problem.  Unlike all my other detectors, I must use the Equinox arm strap, otherwise my arm will not stay within the arm cuff while swinging the detector.

My original plan was to try to turn the middle rod into an S rod.  I wasn't sure I could do this with just bending, or, if it would be smarter to attach a separate S section either mechanically, via welding, or even via epoxy.  Since then, I have acquired two additional middle rods, one for each coil.  This would now mean three times the work if I alter the middle rod.

The other day I was looking at my AKA Signum MFD.  It has the older style plastic housing.  Rather than being a straight rod, or an S rod, it is more of a V setup.  This got me thinking that if I bend the upper rod of the Equinox so that the arm cuff is higher, (similar to a hockey stick) this may solve the ergonomic problem, or, at least let me get rid of the arm strap.

Has anyone tried bending their Equinox shaft?  Will a simple conduit bender be sufficient to do the job?

Bayard there's several discussions here where Equinox owners have converted to other rod systems, including a S-rod conversion.  DId you see those?

Oddly I find it to work fine, but ergonomics is an individual thing, like when I had the Impact, I thought it was an ergonomic mess (would make my thumb go numb if I hunted all day long, never had that experience with any other machine), but then again others felt it was great, so it's definitely an individualized experience.

• Like 1

I would not bend mine, but an old trick with copper tubing is to fill the tube with sandbox sand and then bend-keeps the metal from creasing. I’m not sure if this works with aluminum. Try at your own risk!

• Like 1

My first modification was a folding mechanism ( available on ebay as “ fold and go” metal detector modification.   This worked well to enable me to fit it in a backpack for hikes, but in actually adding about 5 ounces of weight, it didn’t help ergonomics. Having seen a post here where a member replaced  the upper shaft with a Whites s-shaft, I did the same with mine, and now am very pleased with the swing ergonomics. The weight with the 11” coil is 3 lbs 7 oz, including the folding unit. I also lowered the handle by 1 1/2” improving the balance greatly. Both of these mods were not difficult to do, and cost about $70 in parts. It compares well with my f75 in swing ease. 

B998B897-357D-4474-97F0-3E688B6FFC88.jpeg

DC4954F0-049C-4020-A7F1-9B324593B5DC.jpeg

Just now, relicmeister said:

My first modification was a folding mechanism ( available on ebay as “ fold and go” metal detector modification.   This worked well to enable me to fit it in a backpack for hikes, but in actually adding about 5 ounces of weight, it didn’t help ergonomics. Having seen a post here where a member replaced  the upper shaft with a Whites s-shaft, I did the same with mine, and now am very pleased with the swing ergonomics. The weight with the 11” coil is 3 lbs 7 oz, including the folding unit. I also lowered the handle by 1 1/2” improving the balance greatly. Both of these mods were not difficult to do, and cost about $70 in parts. It compares well with my f75 in swing ease.

That's an interesting modification, pretty much what I want, although I don't need the folding feature.

It looks like your S rod is the middle rod.  Are you using a White's upper rod and a White's middle S rod, or, is the upper rod the original Minelab upper rod?  Are you using a White's lower rod, or, does the Minelab lower rod fit?  What exactly did you need to shim?  Thank you in advance.

I switched mine to an S rod. I used a White's center rod as they are only $19.00 where the Minelab Center rod for a 705 is $45.00. The problem is that the White's rod has a smaller diameter than the Equinox rod so I had to shim it. I used the plaastic lid off a Folgers Coffee container and it was the perfect thickness. With it being a flexible plastic, it slid into the upper rod very easy and the twist lock on the Nox holds it very securely. Of course I had to also drill it on the bottom for the spring button, and I use White's lower rods for my coils. Being a past White's dealer, I have lots of lower rods. Been using it this way 3 to 4 times a week for a year and it's holding up great. I think it swings much better as there is no rotational twisting at the end of each swing.

IMG_0271.jpg

Bayard --

I know this deviates from your question about "S" rods, but the counterweight system I offer effects significant improvements with the ergonomics issue...FWIW.

Steve

• Like 2

7 hours ago, steveg said:

Bayard --

I know this deviates from your question about "S" rods, but the counterweight system I offer effects significant improvements with the ergonomics issue...FWIW.

Steve

I can attest to that. Great design Steve!

• Thanks 1