Have Any Of You Altered Your Equinox Rod?

Bayard

Gwcracker --

Not sure what you are looking for, but if you are primarily looking for more ergonomically comfortable Equinox, I may be able to help.

Send me a PM, if interested...

Steve

I went for the "S" rod shape because I thought it crazy to add weight to my detector to make it swing better when I could make it swing better by adding the "S" rod and not having to add weight. Different strokes. 

• 2 years later...
On 4/7/2019 at 8:27 AM, Gwcracker said:

Hi Tom,

Will the X-Terra rod fit without the drilling and shimming?

And fit the Equinox lower rods as well?

Looking for easy here... no tools, no time!

Tks!

Geo

According to prior posts the ML Equinox 800 lower shaft outside diameter has a 20 mm outside dimension (o.d.) at the top insertion into the middle shaft. I measured both the ML Xterra 705 and Garrett AT Pro shafts. The different between the two shafts is that the Xterra offsets 2 /12” downward after the control unit with 16 3/4” upper “S” shaft length; the AT Pro offsets upward 4 3/4” before the control unit with a 21” upper “S” shaft length. Please verify all these dimensions, insertions & offsets for yourself.

ML Xterra 705 ( lower shaft inserts into mid shaft, mid shaft inserts into upper “S” shaft)

lower shaft top: 19.5 mm o.d.

mid shaft bottom: 23.0 mm o.d.  (six single bottom adjustment holes)

mid shaft top: tapers to:: 19.5 mm o.d.

Upper  “S” shaft bottom: 23.0 mm o.d.  (2 1/2 “ downward offset with one pair of side holes)

AT PRO ( lower shaft inserts into mid shaft, upper “S” shaft inserts into mid shaft)

lower shaft top: 20.5 mm o.d.

mid shaft bottom: 22.5 mm o.d. ( 12 pairs of side adjustment holes)

mid shaft top: 22.5 mm o.d.

upper “S” shaft bottom: 20.5 mm o.d. ( 4 3/4” upward offset)

I don’t know about crossing a Minelab with a Garrett this close to Christmas but what about crossing a Equinox 800 control unit with a XP Deus telescoping shaft? Coal or Coke it makes no difference to Santa. 

For what it's worth, I am in the process of building a couple of carbon-fiber S-shaft prototypes right now, for the Equinox.  I'll be doing some for the Garrett AT series, soon.  If anyone is interested in field testing an Equinox S-shaft, let me know...

Thanks,

Steve

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, steveg said:

For what it's worth, I am in the process of building a couple of carbon-fiber S-shaft prototypes right now, for the Equinox.  I'll be doing some for the Garrett AT series, soon.  If anyone is interested in field testing an Equinox S-shaft, let me know...

Thanks,

Steve

Yup, me. Message sent to your business email.  Dave

• Like 2

Shipping would cost probably too much - but it's still a very interesting topic.
For me, the hand position on the Nox has never been very ergonomic.

• Like 1