Have Any Of You Altered Your Equinox Rod?

Bayard

On 12/21/2021 at 12:53 AM, Sinclair said:

My hand always tends to wander up the handle, which leads me to grip harder to compensate.

I fixed that problem with self fusing silicone bicycle handlebar tape. Comes off clean if you need to remove it and gives you a nice grippy surface so your hand doesn'y slip around, with or without gloves.

Silicone Handebar Tape

Hey all!

So, I have a prototype S-shaft ready to go, for an Equinox.  With this shaft (similar to the way an F75 is set up), you would still attach the control box/handle assembly to the shaft -- just "behind" the "S-handle."  In other words, with this shaft, you would not use the S-handle as your "handle."  For the version of this shaft that I'll be making for Garrett units, you WOULD use the "S-handle," but not with the Equinox.

In any case, the prototype is not set up for counterweight attachment, BUT, it certainly could be.  And since the S-shaft configuration likely will not "solve" the balance issues (but may perhaps help some), I do expect that for anyone who uses a straight shaft with counterweighting, they will probably want to use the S-shaft with at least SOME counterweight (albeit perhaps less) as well.  In any case though, I thought that for initial testing, a non-counterweighted S-shaft would be the better way to go.

I have a couple of folks who have expressed interest in testing the shaft; my plan is to send out for testing, and then ask that person to send it along to either another person who wishes to test it, or back to me.  Anyone who tests it, likes it, and would like to purchase one, would receive a discount off the regular price.

Here is a picture of the finished prototype...

Steve

S-shaft_prototype.JPG

• Like 7

Gwcracker -- is this something we have discussed in the past?  I'm trying to picture a handle parallel to the ground...

Steve

We have spoken about it several times. I'd like the handle to hang from my fingers rather than than to hold the handle, fist under the control box.

I have strapped the rod to my wrist and that helps as I can pretty much let go of my hand gripping the handle of the Nox. for short periods of time.

As I said before, it's like carrying a bucket of water by the bail, it hanging on ones fingers rather than by a handle on the side of the bucket. The weight being all on the wrist as opposed to hanging on the hand/fingers.

g

Gw -- so how does that differ from a perfectly balanced straight shaft?  When balanced properly, you can literally grip the machine's handle with your thumb and index finger, and with NO exertion of your wrist whatsoever, the machine sits in natural "detecting position..."

Steve

Gw -- meaning like an old White's unit, with control box under the shaft?