• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      My new T2 arrived this week so I decided I'd take it out for a test run today, I haven't bothered detecting football fields before, it never really crossed my mind to do so especially small town football fields that barely ever get used.  I think the last time I even saw people on this thing was about a year ago and they were riding a horse 🙂
      I guess back in time it was probably a popular place and my results today show this.  This is going to be more of a picture story as the pictures tell 1000 words! 
      I started using the T2 with Mars Tiger coil and within two minutes of arriving I had my first coin, then another, then another..... it was nuts, coins everywhere and very little junk, I was finding nice old coins, possibly one of my oldest in a while too

Silver 🙂

1938 British Penny

The T2 was getting good depth, easily hitting on coins with good ID's, another silver!

1948 Penny -  Now NZ currency, not British like the older Pennies, we used some British currency until 1967. 
      Prior to 1933 United Kingdom currency was the official legal tender of New Zealand, although Australian coins and notes were also generally accepted.
      The first New Zealand penny was minted in 1940. The penny ran until 1965, when New Zealand stopped minting pre-decimal coins in preparation for decimilisation in 1967.

I have no idea what this thing is

This is the football field I was detecting, under the goal posts and along the end of the field had a good collection of coins,  I guess from all the diving with the ball and coins in the players pockets, I don't know much about football, probably the only NZ male who has no clue about the game 🙂

My oldest find of the day, a British 1912 One Penny

It was quite deep down but the T2 banged on it real hard with a solid ID.  At this point I decided I'd go home and gear up better as this place obviously has a lot of good old coins.  I was only using my T2 with Carrot and Lesche digging tool which was hard work with all the coins being so deep.    I wanted a bigger coil to cover more ground but there was no way I was going to strap on the 15" Teknetics coil to continue using the T2 as it weighs a tonne.  I opted for the Equinox with it's 15" coil  and almost straight away after turning it on, another coin

1950 NZ One Penny.  I left the bit of dirt on the coil up the top it came out of, I love when you get the impression of the coin in the soil.

Another silver, 1934 Shilling

This is the hole it came from, I always recheck my holes and I'm glad I did, another target in the hole, then another... this was crazy

3 Silvers in the hole so far, 1934 Shilling, 1934 Shilling and a 1946 Sixpence, I was sure this was it but I did another check and off to the side of the hole, ANOTHER SILVER

Another 1934 Shilling, 4 silvers in one hole, incredible!   Someone had a bad day.

1964 Sixpence... the coins just kept coming, all old ones.  No longer are they made of silver in 1964...

Nice and deep though
      +++++
      My first modern coin, a $2

But look how deep it was, it was deeper than a lot of far older coins.... weird!

Another two in one hole, just one cent coins from back when NZ had one cent coins.

Another coin leaving a cool impression of itself in the soil, just a one cent I think

It sure a lot of ground to cover, I'll be at this place for weeks... plenty more coins to find I'm sure.  Time to head back to the car, with my coil to the soil.

Another for the road 🙂 Double sided impression on the soil with this one.  I couldn't possibly put up a photo of every coin find as there were just too many, all in about 3 hours detecting.

The good stuff

The bad stuff... not a bad ratio, good stuff far outweighed bad stuff, unusual for me.... I'll be back there tomorrow.... and the next day.... and the next day 🙂

• By 1864hatter
      Hi guys and girls, 
      My wife is due to give birth to our second child next weekend so I thought I'd squeeze in a quick trip up to the local gold field to find some gold. We'd had a fresh dusting of snow on the higher hills the day before and so my very pregnant wife, daughter and mother in law decided to tag along to try and find some snow. 
      We drove up to the same spot I last went to on our claim with my 2yo daughter. I was dropped off at the creek and the ladies continued on up the hill for a snow/picnic adventure. We arranged to meet back at the road in 1.5hrs time. 
      The spot I chose has a 1.5m high gravel/clay Bank resting on bedrock. Flooding has exposed the bedrock at the base and on our last trip we were successful in finding gold by removing the remaining material off the bedrock and detecting the nooks and crannies. 
      This time I applied the same method and soon found my first piece of perhaps 0.3g. There were some very large worms in some of the gravely clay which were very impressive! Some almost half a meter long! 
      So I managed to get 6 pieces for one hours digging and detecting. The largest was 1.6g and the total weight was 3.2g. A perfect quick mission before baby arrives. Alas the ladies didn't find any snow. 
      Cheers 

• By devilsrenegade
      Took the xterra out again today for a couple hrs. only intent on shallow clad. I notched everything but 40,42, and 44 on the vdi scale and set the machine at 7.5 khz in 4 tone, threshold 12 and started at sensitivity 10. I was searching sidewalk strips and gradually turned the sensitivity up to 20. I was finding memorial cents, clad dimes and quarters and not a bit of trash. I went a couple blocks then got a solid 42 no matter which way l swept the coil. I was expecting a Canadian cent because they come up a little higher than a lincoln. I was very surprised to see a 1939 mercury dime in the hole.  A little further down the strip another solid 42 next to the sidewalk edge turned up a 54 Rosie. It was nice to have the machine quiet and not be bothered with trash for a change.  ☺

• By devilsrenegade
      It cooled off recently so I took the Xterra 705 to a park I've been hunting for a couple of years . This particular park is in an old neighborhood and has been hunted heavily for many years . I've never been able to find much there in the way of old coins just a couple wheat cents. I have used several different machines there and spent quite a few hours there over the past few years. I guess I got lucky when my first target was a 1943 s mint war nickel then 10 minutes later a 1905 indian cent. Didnt find anything else in the 45 minutes I was there. I was running the 705 in all metal coin mode, 99 tones, sensitivity 28, threshold 12 in high freq on the triple freq cors strike coil. Just wanted to share and make a post so Steve doesn't delete my acct. lol

• By phrunt
      KiwiJW, Mrs JW and I went on a bit of an unusual mission over the weekend. The NZ Minelab dealer contacted me last week saying he has a mission should I choose to accept it,  He knew someone who bought a nice house with a gold mine as it's backyard, she wanted to know if there was still gold to be found on it as she would buy a detector for a bit of fun.  She wasn't overly serious about making anything out of it, just liked the idea of knowing if gold was there as it would be a novelty to send visitors out with a detector.   She said we could keep anything we find if we managed to find anything, I was hoping for an old Chinese coin.
      JW had been to the area before although I don't think he had great success but with this being a private property gold mine that was quite well hidden perhaps nobody had hit it before.  Not to mention it was completely covered in scrub, over the past two years since buying it she had been clearing it only leaving the good stuff, amazing job for one very determined woman. 
      The Chinese miners planted out a range of plum trees, tobacco plants, briar rose for their tea and who knows what else.  They also planted these cool little plants they used for toilet paper, it's a shame I didn't get a photo of one.  Nice big soft thick cushy furry leaves, probably better than real toilet paper.  It was tempting to test some out.
      John brought his Caravan along, all the comforts of home

We were able to park it up right next to the Gold mine. Coffees ready to roll.
      The mine was huge, daunting to work out where to start so I relied more on JW as he has much more of an idea about this sort of thing, so we jumped on our VLF's, JW on his Monster and me on the Nox.  I left the 11" coil on to give me more ground coverage in such a massive area.  JW manned up and used the 5" GM coil, not daunted at all ?

It just keep going and going and going, imagine having that as your backyard.  I'd love it.
      We tried and tried to find gold, but nothing.... JW found an old penny, but promptly lost it again
      It was old sluiced workings and there was still a lot of the old equipment laying around, pipes and bits of the sluice gun.  The main part of the gun looked to be a feature in her town now.
      We went for dinner at the local pub that night with the lady that owns the mine and her neighbours who were very interested in trying to find gold.  Mrs JW fired up the Jukebox, in turn JW shook his booty to the tunes which the entire pub couldn't help but notice much to my and Mr's JW's amusement.

When it was time to leave we went up and paid the bill and the publican asked where we were from and turns out he lived near me for 30 or so years and moved up to that area to run a trommel and a couple of diggers.  He did quite well but messed up with paperwork so had to end the mining so he bought the pub instead.  He informed us the area only had tiny flour gold so our detectors were useless.  JW already suspected this.

I really thought we'd get something so armed with our new information JW decided it's time to go back to basics to avoid a skunk.

She had a pond with a cool little hut in the gold mine too, turns out the hut also came from my town, she got it delivered. Very weird set of circumstances.
      JW tried a few pans, no luck, then he tried out some of the dirt rabbits left after digging their holes, and what do you know, he got gold!

He got 1 tiny little flake ?

The water was near freezing! He tackled another pan of rabbit hole soil and got another couple of bits then handed over the pan to me, I got 5 bits on my first pan of rabbit dirt, then another few bits on my second pan, including a big one.......... for this location.
      We called it quits and did a tour of the local area and it's mining history and found this old mini bucket dredge.

Then a snow storm started to kick in so we made our way home, weekend over.... an enjoyable experience and I learnt quite a bit.