• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      My new T2 arrived this week so I decided I'd take it out for a test run today, I haven't bothered detecting football fields before, it never really crossed my mind to do so especially small town football fields that barely ever get used.  I think the last time I even saw people on this thing was about a year ago and they were riding a horse 🙂
      I guess back in time it was probably a popular place and my results today show this.  This is going to be more of a picture story as the pictures tell 1000 words! 
      I started using the T2 with Mars Tiger coil and within two minutes of arriving I had my first coin, then another, then another..... it was nuts, coins everywhere and very little junk, I was finding nice old coins, possibly one of my oldest in a while too

Silver 🙂

1938 British Penny

The T2 was getting good depth, easily hitting on coins with good ID's, another silver!

1948 Penny -  Now NZ currency, not British like the older Pennies, we used some British currency until 1967. 
      Prior to 1933 United Kingdom currency was the official legal tender of New Zealand, although Australian coins and notes were also generally accepted.
      The first New Zealand penny was minted in 1940. The penny ran until 1965, when New Zealand stopped minting pre-decimal coins in preparation for decimilisation in 1967.

I have no idea what this thing is

This is the football field I was detecting, under the goal posts and along the end of the field had a good collection of coins,  I guess from all the diving with the ball and coins in the players pockets, I don't know much about football, probably the only NZ male who has no clue about the game 🙂

My oldest find of the day, a British 1912 One Penny

It was quite deep down but the T2 banged on it real hard with a solid ID.  At this point I decided I'd go home and gear up better as this place obviously has a lot of good old coins.  I was only using my T2 with Carrot and Lesche digging tool which was hard work with all the coins being so deep.    I wanted a bigger coil to cover more ground but there was no way I was going to strap on the 15" Teknetics coil to continue using the T2 as it weighs a tonne.  I opted for the Equinox with it's 15" coil  and almost straight away after turning it on, another coin

1950 NZ One Penny.  I left the bit of dirt on the coil up the top it came out of, I love when you get the impression of the coin in the soil.

Another silver, 1934 Shilling

This is the hole it came from, I always recheck my holes and I'm glad I did, another target in the hole, then another... this was crazy

3 Silvers in the hole so far, 1934 Shilling, 1934 Shilling and a 1946 Sixpence, I was sure this was it but I did another check and off to the side of the hole, ANOTHER SILVER

Another 1934 Shilling, 4 silvers in one hole, incredible!   Someone had a bad day.

1964 Sixpence... the coins just kept coming, all old ones.  No longer are they made of silver in 1964...

Nice and deep though
      +++++
      My first modern coin, a $2

But look how deep it was, it was deeper than a lot of far older coins.... weird!

Another two in one hole, just one cent coins from back when NZ had one cent coins.

Another coin leaving a cool impression of itself in the soil, just a one cent I think

It sure a lot of ground to cover, I'll be at this place for weeks... plenty more coins to find I'm sure.  Time to head back to the car, with my coil to the soil.

Another for the road 🙂 Double sided impression on the soil with this one.  I couldn't possibly put up a photo of every coin find as there were just too many, all in about 3 hours detecting.

The good stuff

The bad stuff... not a bad ratio, good stuff far outweighed bad stuff, unusual for me.... I'll be back there tomorrow.... and the next day.... and the next day 🙂

• By GaryC/Oregon Coast
      Had a two story garage/shop/storage loft build overtake my life these last ten months, leaving not much free time to metal detect or fish in my newly adopted state of Oregon.  Well that has been happily concluded with satisfactory results.  The Eugene club (55 miles from me) got an invite to hunt a County Park not usually open for detectorists under the conditions they provide proof of all the trash they collect at the end of the hunt.  Well that could be arranged very easily and the club got all it's members to show up last Sunday to this park and we had at it.  I have to say I haven't touched my 800 for quite awhile now and was really concerned I was not going to know how to operate it again.  I basically just wanted to get back into digging all signals and re-train myself again on the positive signals.  I always liked hunting in all metal with the X-Terra and sorting out all the signals, so that is what I did this trip.  This particular park is not that trashy and has pretty mild soil anyway.  I have the 15" coil and started with that one for the first two hours.  Most coins were no deeper than 3" and very easy to pinpoint with that big coil.  I was only using a handheld digger while most others were using long handled spades.  I can see using long handled spades for deeper coins, especially if using the 15" coil because pinpointing would be getting a bit harder then.  By lunch time I changed to the stock 11" coil and did much better hitting the two rings my first two targets.  Don't ask me the numbers because I was hunting in all metal and I don't really look at the numbers anymore.  Since we were also looking for trash I was pretty much digging all targets good numbers or not.  By days end, maybe five hours the club had a nice haul of pop tops, cans, slaw, nails, general trash to make the County happy and secure another invite back at another time.  A good days work and a needed re-training day for me.  At the end of the day I felt I hadn't forgot that much, like I had thought.  Muscle memory is a wonderful thing.
      I ended up with 36 coins, a mood ring, a possible silver ring (not marked), a flying brain pin back, a button, a set of house keys, and a gold colored (CORO) 1960's costume jewelry necklace which gave me a heart attack when I saw the brief glint of GOLD.    GaryC/OregonCoast
    • By Ridge Runner
      I'm not saying you will become rich over night but it can pay off. Today was not my first time to look down at my change and take a look over it. When I did I could see it was a wheat in it and with a date of 1925. I've have had the luck to find silver in that change in the past.
      So if you be a coin hunter are just a trash and treasure hunter it pays to look.
      Chuck 
    • By Roughwater
      I was searching today for something online and came across this Utube video and thought this was a pretty smart way to put your Deep seeking PI detector to good use.  In the video they use it to locate deep targets, mark them and go back over with an etrac to determine whether to dig or not.   

• By RobNC
      it finally happened- Someone granted me permission to hunt a piece of property that dates back 1840's as build date.
      My 2 detectors are the XP ORX and Teknetics T2SE with a small Cors Shrew coil.  I imagine this place will be littered with iron objects as it was used as a farm site after 1870-ish. All the original buildings are intact, except a chicken coop or two. The place is mostly untouched and this coming spring there will be restoration performed on the main house and other buildings. Real slim window here and wouldn't you know in the coldest months here. 
      So what I'm asking from the experienced people here, and especially those with Tekentics T2 experience or XP ORX experience what things would you suggest when tackling an older place like this?
      While I've had decent luck finding coins and such in more modern areas have not hunted a site this old before. There is no idea if this property has been metal detected before so I don't know about that. Will the finds be deeper and out of reach of my equipment or masked by oodles of iron? Any guidance is appreciated and any tweaks to settings that may help find interesting things.

• By fredmason
      A couple of days ago I went to my buddy's house to go detecting. Before we wandered off I asked him if I could try my ctx and small coil on some gold coins. As I asked this question I remembered a previous post where coin drops and old purses were mentioned. Now his family never threw anything usable awy so I asked if he still had one of those little snap purses. The kind that men and women of older generations carried. Yes, indeed he had one, and three one oz gold coins, a 1/4 oz and a mexican dos peso. Also several silver quarters and 50 cent pieces. 
      So first I laid the gold out in a line. Nice signal from 12/9 for the dollar size,12/12 or so for the 5 dollar size and 12/45 for the american oz and the mexican oz...the Kuggerand read 0/45 and went way up to the right hand corner. The silver read as you would expect. The real surprise came when I put the purse down and spread the silver and gold coin over it...no audio signal in discriminate and very odd signal in all metal...the reading was 12/30 as i recall. I was amazed...and wonder how many lost coin purses filled with gold and silver I may never have heard....
      Not many I am sure but only one would be a real heart-breaker...at least it would be if I knew...
      fred