Tejon Coil Question

I have been using the 9x8 concentric coil mostly for park hunting and trashy areas and wondering how good the 12x10 wide scan coil is on depth and small targets or would I be better off with a Nel Thunder or something similar? I find the 9x8 a little tedious on big fields. 

Thinking of getting that coil along with a lower pole and other parts as back up since Tesoro seems to have evaporated.

Good luck finding a lower rod.  I have been looking for one for a while and nobody seems to have any.  Tesoro must have quit making them.  You might be able to get one from  Adersons Shafts, but they are spendy.  If you find someone who has them, please post it on here, so I can order one.  I have the 8x11 coil on my Tejon, and I really like it a lot.

Seriousdetecting has them here for $12, they are pretty good to order from.

https://www.seriousdetecting.com/products/?product_cat=shafts&source_id=897&source_tax=product_cat&filter_manufacturer=tesoro

I love the concentric but you don't cover much ground when it comes to big open fields.

They are out of stock, and have been for quite a while.  That is one of the places that I checked. I just checked again and they are still out of stock.

Just realized that, they are out of battery box covers too.

Worst case scenario I can always make one if I need to.

Curious if the wide scan coil is worth getting or is the Nell or Detech coils equal or better?

Seems like a mad grab out there on parts and pieces. Reminds me of the food hoarders just before a snow storm up here. 

At times I miss my Tejon:mellow:

I baby my equipment, should have it for quite a while. If it fails and I can't fix it i'll bronze it and hang it on my wall ?

• Like 1

Used a 12x10 dd on my mojave for a while.  It was great for field hunting but was a little out of balance for a uMax housing.  Probably not as bad on a tejon with the batteries out back.  

If the site has lots of iron you will be better off with the concentric IMO.  The dd coils don’t seem to reject iron as well as concentrics with the Tesoro circuit. 

Also in regards to the lower rod.  I won’t be home until April but I should have an extra lower  rod to part with.  I’ll send you a message when I can confirm.  

I'm not in any rush, I have been using my AT Pro in the big fields but some the fields are hit hard so was going to do a few passes with the Tejon in all metal mode and use the 2nd discrim for small iron. I love the concentric on it now, I can pick through the worst areas and snipe out the good stuff which seems to make it a great machine for parks where you really can't dig everything without getting screamed at by the caretakers.

Looking at the Nel and Detech coils as comparison and think they might be a good alternative. For lower pole it isn't a huge deal to undo a nut and swap it out. I do that on my AT. Takes more time to wind the wire than to spin a nut and it isn't like I need to run through the area and do a change out in some sort of competition ?