Sign in to follow this  
kac

Tejon Coil Question

I have been using the 9x8 concentric coil mostly for park hunting and trashy areas and wondering how good the 12x10 wide scan coil is on depth and small targets or would I be better off with a Nel Thunder or something similar? I find the 9x8 a little tedious on big fields. 

Thinking of getting that coil along with a lower pole and other parts as back up since Tesoro seems to have evaporated.

Good luck finding a lower rod.  I have been looking for one for a while and nobody seems to have any.  Tesoro must have quit making them.  You might be able to get one from  Adersons Shafts, but they are spendy.  If you find someone who has them, please post it on here, so I can order one.  I have the 8x11 coil on my Tejon, and I really like it a lot.

They are out of stock, and have been for quite a while.  That is one of the places that I checked. I just checked again and they are still out of stock.

Just realized that, they are out of battery box covers too.

Worst case scenario I can always make one if I need to.

Curious if the wide scan coil is worth getting or is the Nell or Detech coils equal or better?

Seems like a mad grab out there on parts and pieces. Reminds me of the food hoarders just before a snow storm up here. 

Try a fisher it should work...........

RR

At times I miss my Tejon:mellow:

I baby my equipment, should have it for quite a while. If it fails and I can't fix it i'll bronze it and hang it on my wall 🙂

• Like 1

Used a 12x10 dd on my mojave for a while.  It was great for field hunting but was a little out of balance for a uMax housing.  Probably not as bad on a tejon with the batteries out back.  

If the site has lots of iron you will be better off with the concentric IMO.  The dd coils don’t seem to reject iron as well as concentrics with the Tesoro circuit. 

Also in regards to the lower rod.  I won’t be home until April but I should have an extra lower  rod to part with.  I’ll send you a message when I can confirm.  

I'm not in any rush, I have been using my AT Pro in the big fields but some the fields are hit hard so was going to do a few passes with the Tejon in all metal mode and use the 2nd discrim for small iron. I love the concentric on it now, I can pick through the worst areas and snipe out the good stuff which seems to make it a great machine for parks where you really can't dig everything without getting screamed at by the caretakers.

Looking at the Nel and Detech coils as comparison and think they might be a good alternative. For lower pole it isn't a huge deal to undo a nut and swap it out. I do that on my AT. Takes more time to wind the wire than to spin a nut and it isn't like I need to run through the area and do a change out in some sort of competition 🙂

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Mike nelsen
      Hello, Live on the Kenai Peninsula and bought a Tesoro Lobo st last winter in Arizona, the snow is going away time to learn the machine, Anthing I should know about the soil up here and any special mode to use up here, Looking for everything from coins to nuggets, Thanks
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ Instruction Manual, 403 KB pdf file, 22 pages
      Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ Data & Reviews
      Tesoro Metal Detector Forum
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Tesoro 2013 full color catalog, 25.2 MB pdf file, 20 pages
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Tesoro 2007 full color catalog, 2.77 MB pdf file, 12 pages
    • By Rick Kempf
      One popped up on eBay just now - couldn’t resist - Buy it Now - I did 

No coil. If I understand correctly it takes standard 4 pin coils for the Lobo super trac and similar. 

Have to figure out what coil to get for it. 

This will be my third one - Probably made enough off the first two to pay for it - but out of respect for Dave Johnson - who designed it and pronounced it to be his favorite design - I guess I’ll keep this one.

Rick Kempf 
      Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
    • By Lobo Lover
      Hello everyone, 
                                 I have just joined up and this is my very first post. I'm surprised to see fellow detectorists here from New Zealand. I've been here in N.Z. for almost 12 years now and only bumped into one other detectorist just a little while ago, some newbie from Christchurch going back home after his first trip to    Kyeburn Diggings up Dansey's Pass. Some older dude with his new Gold Monster 1000, he stopped off at the beach here in Timaru for a snack and his afternoon nap. No luck for him this time and he was complaining about all the metal the old time miners chucked about there. That's along drive to about 2.5 Hrs one way. We were just heading home after hanging out there for the afternoon, when he saw us just after testing out my wife's new BH Commando TK4. So we had a little bit of a tail-gate meeting with him. He wanted to showed us his GM 1000, it was nice to have a look at one up close and I took it for a bit of spin in the dunes. 
      Anyway I'm not here to chat about new acquaintances, got much more important stuff to talk about. I would like to Hyper-Tune or Super-Tune my Lobo ST and  need some help with it. I Was thinking about putting on an external ground balance potentiometer to get some more depth, but first I need to know how it all works. Because my wife and I are Newbie's too and I'm trying to teach myself, my beautiful and talented assistant the "wife" all the ropes about MDing.
      So if anyone can help in anyway it would be very much appreciated.  A German guy did that to his Lobo and he seams to be happy with his mod I think his name is mschahl and another guy Keith they both seem to very knowledgeable about the Lobo ST.  I would love to here about what is and isn't, the up and down's, the in's and out's and what mod's I could do with these two MD's the Lobo and BH TK4.
      Also I could get a new PCB for the Lobo and put it in a build box like the one shown or drop it straight into the Lobo but don't know where or who could build it for me. This way I can take out the factory one to keep for a back-up incase anything goes wrong with my build. 
                                                                                 Thanks' in advance for all your help and it's nice to be here, I don't feel so lost now.
                                                                                                                                                                                           Paul.