First Post

RobNC

This is my first post. I've been lurking around reading this forum a while now and decided it was time to register so I could speak to you.

Look forward to meeting you, and learning from others here.

Best of Wishes!

Rob

• Like 1

Thank you! I've been messing around with metal detecting off and on since I was 9 or 10 yrs old. 48 now so time moves on! Been out of metal detecting a few years up until Jan of this year. I hunt when I can (when work doesn't consume my time) and when the weather permits. Things are very different these days when it comes to metal detecting. It's hard to get permissions because others have been irresponsible and left holes or did other things. Unfortunately that ruins it for those of us that go about things responsibly and acquire permission. A lot of the local parks around my area either don't allow metal detecting at all or put some serious restrictions on you if they allow you to go.  I'm very thankful for the places I have gotten permission to go and intend to treat those people right. So hopefully that tells the forum members the kind of person I am when it comes to metal detecting.

Another thing that has changed drastically is  EMI and interference. With the proliferation of cell phones, wireless communications and other such things us humans use that is noticeably more worse since I last detected roughly 10 yrs ago. Even those places that may seem "out in the sticks" can be influenced by EMI/RFI because of a cell tower. Really feel manufacturers should be working harder on ways to outright block such interference more than they do. Well sorry for going off on a tangent there!

• Like 1

Welcome, RobNC!  Thanks for reporting your background.  Sounds like you are a seasoned coin and relic hunter.  Yes, some of us have to work extra hard to regain trust after selfish, irresponsible detectorists precede us.

Regarding EMI, I suspect the manufacturers are trying, but it's a moving target as you point out.  Also, as you likely know, the more sensitive the detector the more likely to pick up EMI on its higher gain settings.  I have quite a bit of EMI problems but most of the time I've been able to hunt by turning down the gain.  Also, selectable frequency detectors give us options to find a quiet frequency and that has worked well for me with my Minelab Equinox on occasions I've not been satisfied with turning down the gain.

I look forward to your future posts.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Rob! You'll fit right in. I'm sure most of want to do the respectable thing while detecting.

Best of luck out there!

BH