Detector Decision To Be Made, Would Like Input

I consider myself freshwater gold jewelry hunter with a focus on gold chains. I have used Tesoro Stingray II models for the past 20 something years and have decided to purchase either an Equinox 800, a Makro Gold Kruzer, or maybe one of the Multi's. I prefer the first 2 models because of their high frequencies but not having used either, I don't know if 40 or 61 khz. offer any significant advantages over a machine running in the 12-20 khz. range. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter. I tend to keep my detectors for a while so reliability/durability is somewhat of a consideration. If you have any other waterproof detector considerations you'd like to suggest feel free.

Thank you,

auBurkey

Hello and Welcome to the party! I can tell you from experience that you definitely want the Equinox 800 over the 600. There are more settings available to tweak. Unfortunately I did not have a chance to test my Equinox 600 in water or the beach environment. I hear they are really good in that environment. I can tell you that I had some difficulties with the Equinox 600 and me and the machine simply do not click. I'm trying to sell it now. It's a good machine but where it really shines is on a beach or in water. Please be aware it has a small Target ID Range also. It will hammer gold hard, that I can tell you. And one of the very few detectors I've seen that is really killing it on nickels.

I did try a Kruzer Multi before I returned it for the Equinox. The Kruzer I had showed some issues with the backlight display. It flickered and anytime I lightly tapped the detector it would either go really dim or go back to how it should have been. Only took it out once and did not notice it until I turned the backlight on. It was mighty chatty too. The Equinox is usually a smooth operator if your settings are right.

This is about all I can offer to you  with advice. There are many other people here with FAR more knowledge of different models than myself. Best of Luck! I hope you uncover a cache!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, auBurkey said:

I prefer the first 2 models because of their high frequencies but not having used either, I don't know if 40 or 61 khz. offer any significant advantages over a machine running in the 12-20 khz. range.

There is a huge difference in sensitivity to small, both gold and foil. It may be more sensitivity than you had in mind even. If you are taking one of these into the water, you will want to modify your scoop to capture small things. The advantage is that it is more sensitive to gold, especially small gold. The disadvantage is that you will dig a lot of foil for a while.

For my part, I went high frequency 3 years ago and will never go back. It takes a while to get used to these hot detectors, and they are certainly not for everyone, but for me it has made all the difference.

I have no experience with either of the detectors you mention, but use the Makro Gold Racer a lot and love it. The Gold Kruzer looks to me like a waterproof version with a little update to boot. If I was going in the water with a high frequency, I would absolutely give it a look. With all the talk about the Nox 800, it just has to be good. People that know these more will be along to help.

I have been eyeing some waterproof machines to upgrade from my AT Pro and looked at the Equinox 800, AT Max, Anfibio Multi and XP Orx all of which are in the same price range.

Weight wise the Orx looks good but when compared to the Deus and other machines it seems to lack depth which could be just coil size.

AT Max looks good with it's all metal mode but the low 13hz might make finding small gold pieces difficult.

Last it leaves the Equinox vs Anfibio multi and seeing comparisons of the 2 machines the Anfibio looks like the better of the 2 machines on depth and signal stability. 

I have never used any of the machines and others here probably have first hand info that might make the choice better.

Welcome to the forum auBurkey. There are some very erudite members here that should be able to help you with your questions. Best of Luck!

• 1 year later...

Welcome to the forum.  Freshwater gold chain hunting is not an easy sport.  In my environment, three types of machines are used for this.  Garrett AT gold or Pro because it is cheap and waterproof, XP deus, preferably HF round or HF elliptical head.  I think this is where most chains can be found with Deus.  The new machines are the Equinox 800/600, this is also popular, I have been using it for two years but I only found 1 chain with it.  That's not the real thing for me.