Which Machine For Coin Cache Hunting?

Hey, I'm new here, but I come here time to time to read, you all are a knowledgeable bunch it seems.  I have for a couple years been on the search for an alleged cache of gold coins, in a jar or something similar. It's a solid story, I've done my research, etc.  I am currently looking into a GPX 4500 for the hunt. I had bought a CTX 3030 and learned it for a few months, but I buried some test targets (using bottles of nickels, or pennies), and the damned thing was nearly worthless past 12" deep, a $2500 toy in my opinion.  Most caches are said to be found at 1 1/2 to 2 feet deep, and I'd say 3 feet wouldn't be out of the question here.  Any informed opinions welcome, thank you!

You will need a deep seeking detector such as a PI, or a two box vlf….or a large coil on a vlf machine.

The 4500 will not have discrimination but you don't want that...it should certainly detect a pop can sized object at 2 feet.

good luck

fred

The White's model is a good choice.  It won't pick up the small bits and pieces of metal trash.

Of course you looking for the large, deep targets.  Keep us posted on your adventures.

If you know that it is a cache of gold coins that you are looking for, I'd get a two box detector,  If you are up against foundations, walls, etc., use the 3030

Thanks for the replies, as for the White's, I forgot to mention, I took a TM-600 and also a TM-800 up there looking, after no results, I tested them on buried targets, those machines are also nearly worthless, wouldn't even find a bundle of copper pipes at 3 feet deep, and even more worthless on a jar of coins.  People say yeah 2 box for deep stuff, but in reality, unless you're talking about a steel drum or something similar, these won't find anything.

5 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Used them myself also. They simply find what they find and won't what they don't. Treasure hunters have used them for decades and so this is not even an open question. However, If you don't want to use a two box get a Minelab PI with a large coil.

Yeah, what I mean is for caches of coins, the depth is miserable on them, all the literature makes them sound good but once you have one in hand you see they are poor performers, unless its a very large object

8 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Used them myself also. They simply find what they find and won't what they don't. Treasure hunters have used them for decades and so this is not even an open question. However, If you don't want to use a two box get a Minelab PI with a large coil.

What kind of depth do you think a Minelab PI would get on a coin cache jar?  And as for coils, which would you recommend for this kind of hunt?