Purchasing An XP Orx

g-man

I can't understand why anyone would want to ditch them. I just received mine little over an hour ago. Currently on charge. I did mess with it a little bit in the house and seen it has lots of power under the hood. Just the little bit I spent with it putting it together (which was so different than any other detector I've ever owned) it's a different animal. I consider the XP ORX the Glock of metal detectors. Shall see when I can get it out in the field what it's capable of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, RobNC said:

I can't understand why anyone would want to ditch them. I just received mine little over an hour ago. Currently on charge. I did mess with it a little bit in the house and seen it has lots of power under the hood. Just the little bit I spent with it putting it together (which was so different than any other detector I've ever owned) it's a different animal. I consider the XP ORX the Glock of metal detectors. Shall see when I can get it out in the field what it's capable of.

Don't let it bother you. Every new detector that comes out has a buy and try crowd. Been there done that many a time. I will ditch a detector simply because it feels wrong on my arm or does not have enough external speaker volume. Their reasons for owning the detector are most likely just different than yours and don't actually reflect on the detector itself.

It does tend to be hard to get the real story as those selling them want to sell them. So there is usually a narrative that explains it is a great detector but they don't need it because of a surprise bill, etc. Such is the world of being an early adopter. I always tell people to wait six months to let the dust settle, but I have been one to be the first kid on the block and so I don't follow my own advice! :smile:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BeachHunter said:

Good luck Rob with the new XP ORX. Let us know how it does. Thanks!

Hey Thanks. I couldn't stand to wait. I ran a few test targets over the coil to get some ideas on how the target ID is.

So using the Coin Fast mode for test I came up with the below:

Copper Penny= 91, Wheat Penny =91, Liberty V Nickel =63, 1878 Indian Head Penny =82, 1935 merc dime=91-93, 1964 nickel=63, Clad Quarter=95, zinc penny=86, clad dime=92, square pulltab=65-66, bottlecap=90, 10k gold men's ring=66-68, round pulltab=73-74, women's small 10k gold ring=58-59

I also took it out in my yard which is horrible and has been hunted over and over through the decades. Found 2 clad dimes in the front yard. One thing I can say is that this ORX can be very chatty. It gives you a LOT of information on what's under your coil. Not so sure I am loving the pinpoint feature and instead have been using the front of the coil in the middle where the XP logo is. I run the tip up to where I start getting the target then size it out and BINGO, there is where I dig.  Not a bad first 30 minutes out.  There is a whole lot to learn about this unit and getting the Target ID's in your head are the main thing. I can see where over time this is a machine that can really net some finds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rob, excellent feedback!

So one thing I see is that a solid copper penny and an older wheat penny TID as the same. Same on the nicks. That’s good so it’s not as confusing with different numbers.

I would think an exploded clad memorial would have a different number. So you could pick and choose what to dig. Good luck!

I ran some more things over the coil a little bit ago. Sat down in my trusty computer chair, laid the ORX on the bed, put the headphones on for the first time and put the remote in my hand while I waved items by coil. Man, that was nice being able to not worry about positioning the detector so I could read the display. I'm curious, are the buttons on wireless headphones for the Deus hard to press? Mine are on the ORX headphones. I had to press them so hard was afraid something would break. Very tight tolerances and some tough materials on this detector as a whole. Not used to that!

There is a world of difference in how the audio sounds from the headphones vs the remote speaker. You can really tell a difference in the tones.  Target ID seems very good and you are right, there is enough room there to tell a difference between stinking lincolns (zincs) and copper pennies. I also tried another wheat penny that isn't so pretty and looks rough. Same thing, 91 on the ID-consistent and strong.The only thing I've seen so far that could be a problem are the notorious bottlecaps. They ring up as 90. Can fool ya pretty good out in the field I imagine, and there was zero iron probability showing up. Now the one I tested was a pristine bottlecap so maybe a corroded one would be different. Time will tell.

• Like 3

That is cool not having to tape your coins to a painter’s paddle so you can wave it in front of the coil. Lol!

Target tones are much better through the headphones. There are subtle ways to hear those bottle caps. Sometimes they have an edginess to the tone as the coil passes over the target.

I’m not sure about the difficulty in depressing the buttons on the HP’s but I’ll check them and get back to you on that.

On 3/15/2019 at 11:49 PM, g-man said:

who would have the best price on an XP Orx?

I never pay list price for my detectors.  There is always a dealer willing to give a better price than what they list on their website.  Just call several and get some quotes.

I love my ORX.  Though I am sure that it will be a stepping stone towards a Deus eventually.  The weight alone makes it a pleasure to use.  It seems to be wicked fast in iron-great separation!

• Like 2