3.8 Ounce Gold Nugget Dig In Australia

Never noticed that chirp sound on the 5000, but have noticed similar bare change in the threshold of the Z from the very rear of the coil, so far has been deeper sub grammers. The front and centre of the coil do nor register it until you`ve scraped away with the boot and got the coil lower. Audio smoothing off, medium mineralisation firstly considered it may have been simply the wireless audio slight delay.

Just about every large deep nugget I have found made that warbly sound!

It is not unusual at all like he describes in the video, he is clearly a beginner.

Hello Col Douglas,

To myself, I characterized this faint 'chirp' sound as an anomaly.

It was rarely repeatable, which is why it took me quite a while to realize it might be indicating something.

Also I did not hear it in every area I detected.

The places I do remember hearing it were very highly mineralized. 

As I said, it was not repeatable, but after a boot scrape or two, it would become a signal.

Lastly, it did not happen often - maybe once or twice over a two day period and I hunt long days.

I was so surprised by this little discovery that I mentioned it to a couple of knowledgeable acquaintances early on when the 5000 came out (and I was lucky enough to be able to afford one).

One of the guys I talked to knew about it too and actually suggested that I not to say anything about it because it could give whoever caught on to it "an edge."

But sharing stuff like this is what makes it a great hobby so didn't really pay attention to that part.

And it was a good reminder that I will probably never learn enough

to be able to repay the kindnesses of the generous and intelligent people

who have helped me learn this hobby.

I am hoping there may be some other folks out there who will be able to amplify on

this. I know for sure I am not the only person who got on to this 5k quirk.

fwiw

Gday flakmagnet

I regularly find smaller deep targets that make the faint chirp you are talking about.

And I find alot of deep larger nuggets that only null the threshold, we (goldhounds crew) call them a null signal.

This is one of the main types of response I am concentrating on hearing.

Particularly if I'm in deep ground gridding!

That is why we run our detectors a lot noisyer than most as the extra threshold chatter can help amplify the null response when you know what you are doing.

Hi Goldhound,

You mentioned a detail that I left out - I usually ran my detector a little "ratty."

The null response you mention was another and different indicator of a possible signal as well.

The other aspect that I forgot to mention was that

I was running the detector in either Normal or Fine Gold Timings.

Col,

My hearing is also not great. I found that messing with the threshold

in conjunction with using a B&Z booster and taking care that the Audio Tones were optimum, really helped.

Hi Goldhound,

You mentioned a detail that I left out - I usually ran my detector a little "ratty."

The null response you mention was another and different indicator of a possible signal as well.

The other aspect that I forgot to mention was that

I was running the detector in either Normal or Fine Gold Timings.

I do not regard the null signal as an indicator of a possile signal but rather as a common signal that we are always chasing!

A large percentage of the gold I find are these null signals.

It is very important to have your settings right to hear these targets as they are the easiest to miss but quite oftern they are the bigger deeper targets.

As far as the timings go I always run the most sensitive that the detector can handle for the ground type.

And I can always get these target types in any timing.

That warble signal has always been exciting to me :)  I use DD's primarily with my GP and when I hear that noise I know I got a multi-grammer coming out of the hole.  It is a bit funny seeing the nugget outta the hole in the video... been there done that.  Hahh :) 

Most of my nuggets are much, much smaller, and most can be relied with the GPX to produce very clean, pure tones. Not so with the GPZ as anything close to the coil produces some complex responses. Even then working hydraulic pits I can identify most ferrous targets in advance versus small nuggets based on the response, which tends to be cleaner with nuggets. A risky strategy for sure but one I have used when I just get too tired to be digging it all. The last hour or two may I start cherry picking.

The GPX is a much better machine for cherry picking targets, especicially considering it actually has a discrimination function. Even beyond that however the tones were much easier to read. The GPZ can produce some very strange responses and there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to them at times. Some gold detects much deeper than I would expect, other gold not as deep as I would expect. A very different beast indeed.