Nice-People Story, And A Question

A couple weeks ago my bro was getting familiar with the v/sat during his lunch hour and took it in to the office at work when he was done. On his way through the boss saw it and commenced to tell him about how he had purchased one for his wife and a gpx 4500 for himself.

Last week my bro went in to the office to have his boss tell him "why dont you take my gpx and learn how to use it, and then you can teach me".

Too sweet right....it gets better...he heard we were working on our first claim and donated also for-use a mini sluce package, and various other barely-used equipment. I let him know I appreciated this very much-but I dont think he knows HOW MUCH I appreciate this.

I want to show him, and with that in mind I pose my question.

What resources have proved invaluable to you experienced gold hunters in finding/understanding good gold-hunting methods/techniques?

What resources have proved invaluable to you experienced gold hunters in finding/understanding good gold-hunting methods/techniques?

I'm by far from "experienced", but I will offer you some advice on how I got into the gold prospecting business.

First of all read everything you can on the basics of gold prospecting. In my opinion, this is the best book on the market for anybody interested in the pursuit of gold. It was penned by one of our very own forum members. I strongly suggest you read it, and then read it again!

Second... read and research everything you can on the areas you are most interested in prospecting. This includes the history of the area, the geology, the mining reports, the assay reports, everything! There are tons of material, maps, geology reports, and government bulletins on just about every known mineral and mining area in the entire USA. Google is your friend!

Third... get your boots on the ground. You can go out and prospect on your own like I do, or you can join a club and learn from others. Either way, you will want to relate all your research and reading with actual on the ground experience.

Last but not least... HAVE FUN! Gold is very elusive. If it was that easy to find, the hills would be crawling with people. That's why it is very important to keep a good attitude. If it wasn't for my love of riding dirt bikes and exploring new places in the great outdoors, I'd have probably given up looking for gold a long time ago.  :D

• Like 2

This forum. Robs forum. Steve has a lot of great archived articles too. The ICMJ magazine is fantastic. Not sure where your located,but maybe find a group to go with...in NoCal, I recomend the Goldhounds and AMRA. Good luck,& your bros boss sounds like a great guy!

Azbb and Ray, Thanks for posting up. I am happy to say I have compiled a decent reference library of state and local mining, both historic and current. I have yet to read Chris's book. I have couple of Hausel's books on gold in Wy and they provide excellent info.

We have a local prospecting association and I went to one of the meetings, i just havent decided to be a groupee yet. I am not really a social butterfly- would rather be out in the hills dealing with the four legged creatures than most two legged creatures.

Spencer... sounds like quite a 'boss' to me. I would think if you wanted to show him

HOW MUCH you guys appreciated his kindness, that you would invite him to your

claim and/or tag along on a prospecting trip or two.

Spencer... sounds like quite a 'boss' to me. I would think if you wanted to show him

HOW MUCH you guys appreciated his kindness, that you would invite him to your

claim and/or tag along on a prospecting trip or two.

Actually he is a member of the association now, holding 1/8 share of claim. He got the bug abt 8 yrs ago r so, bought some nice equipment and then it sat, waiting for its day. Its day has came. Historically they took some 11000-30000 oz. gold from the 9.5 miles dredged above our claim on the creek, fella lower on creek brought in really big equip last year, havent caught up with him yet this year but he has to believe its in there, big investment in equip.

I am just hoping to learn a little and maybe find enough to cover expenses.