Strange Reoccurring Signals In 5 Khz

Dan(NM)

Dan......

Equinox uses a single frequency of 5/10/15/20/40 Khz .... works very much like a 1frequency detector that means deeply low-level ID targets are signaled from high IDs. ..., and the deepest signals go all the way to the iron zone.

Sometimes you can use this situation ... and set the discrimination high enough, without losing deep signals ...

On 3/17/2019 at 8:25 PM, Dan(NM) said:

I've been playing around with running 5Khz just to see if maybe I'd get a hit on some deep copper or silver in an old zoo that's finally playing out. The first time I did this I got 5-6 nice repeatable hits in a spot that I have beat to death with the CTX. All targets were deep and hitting in the mid 20's, every one was a ring tab. I had my disc set from -9 to +18, which made didn't make sense that I was getting a hit on the tab. Every one of them that I checked out of the hole would not register a positive signal. The second time I tried the same setup, 5 Khz, same disc settings, I decided to test the hits in multi IQ, nothing, not a peep. When I went back to 5Khz, there they were, loud and clear, same targets, ring tabs.

I was thinking to myself, that, possibly, I might get a hit on some deep nickles running 5Khz without having to listen to all the mid tones. Well, today, I do the same thing, only this time, I had just made a pass with the CTX over this spot and didn't get a good repeatable signal. Low and behold, I get a solid 28-32 both ways and dig a 6" plug and out pops a nickle ? At first I'm thinking its a war nickle due to the high numbers, but, nope, just a plain Jefferson. I pass the coil over it, nothing, not a peep, notta.

Any idea's as to what's going on here, I don't think it's a bad thing, just a bit weird I thought.

Dan, my machine will do the same thing.  I tried park 1 and field 1 and I get the same results. Discriminated out -9 to 18, no audio in multi-frequency but good repeatable audio in 5 Khz . with ID's anywhere from 22 to 28 and that is on a 6 1/2" nickel.  Not bad but strange to say the least.  I might reset the detector to the original firmware and see what happens.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I might add one thing Dan.  I've had the Equinox for 14 months and have attempted to justify using the single frequency over the multi option.  I've purposely hunted the hard, masked and deeper targets just to compare the single frequency to the multi option.  Wanting to see if the audio or ID was better and can say the multi-frequency has never been trumped by any of the single frequency options.  I've never had a machine that has satisfied me for long periods of time, until the Equinox.   Several years ago I had the Etrac and Explorer and they did very well where I live but dang it, they were just to heavy.    To finalize, I presently prefer the Equinox on every outing, it's light, extremely fast in recovering between targets and has the most accurate ID of any machine I've had in the past 20+ years.☺️

• Like 3

Just a note, when you go to single frequency on the Equinox, you can basically throw the search mode designations out the window (except for Beach which cannot run in single and Gold which is a completely different animal altogether).  Park 1 = Park 2 = Field 1 = Field 2 as far as signal processing goes because MultiIQ is what gives each mode its unique "personality".  Other than the user adjustable settings (i.e., noise cancel channel selection, GB setting, tone and audio settings, recovery speed) there is nothing really to differentiate the modes in single.  Even iron bias is disabled in single frequency.  Doesn't explain the strange recurring signal problem. Just food for thought for those thinking of using single frequency from different modes.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

I will put my 800 at 5 kHz when I'm over a multiple toned signal with inconsistent VDI and if the target goes silent (most occurrences) I walk away as I do when there is little to no change  in the signal response. I dig when the 5 kHz  signal response tightens up/drops two or more tones in Park 1, Discriminate -9 to +21, 39 and 40,  and Recovery speed at 7. This niche is where the deep early trade tokens, dog tax tags, military buttons and stamped brass plates respond in eastern Iowa dirt that I have experienced anyway.  I would not have  dug a civil war Infantry cuff button today if I was solely reliant on the 800 in multi frequency mode. And i will alway follow the audio signal over VDI in 5 kHz.  I will then go over the same dirt set up for gold coin using only 11, 13, 15, 18 and 20. (fmexp a single vdi number opposed to a series of numbers calls out the aluminium caps and particles of can slaw much better thus ignored and un-dug)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, F4ttk4tt said:

I would not have  dug a civil war Infantry cuff button today if I was solely reliant on the 800 in multi frequency mode.

What was the detector response in multi-freq?

And i will alway follow the audio signal over VDI in 5 kHz.

How many tones (setting) were you using?

I will then go over the same dirt set up for gold coin using only 11, 13, 15, 18 and 20. (fmexp a single vdi number opposed to a series of numbers calls out the aluminium caps and particles of can slaw much better thus ignored and un-dug)

You're saying a buried gold coin gives *only* a single TID/VDI value?

Why disc to -9 to +18. Nickel hits 12-13. So you will not here the nickel. Why not leave 12-13 open.

If you don't dig the nickel signals you'll be missing the majority of the women's gold rings.

I've found gold rings in the range from ID 1 to 24 -> 0,8g - 11g. It depends on the size and weight.

If you want to find gold, you have to dig a lot of trash - period. Anyway, that hasen't been the OP's goal....