Strange Reoccurring Signals In 5 Khz

Dan(NM)

I've been playing around with running 5Khz just to see if maybe I'd get a hit on some deep copper or silver in an old zoo that's finally playing out. The first time I did this I got 5-6 nice repeatable hits in a spot that I have beat to death with the CTX. All targets were deep and hitting in the mid 20's, every one was a ring tab. I had my disc set from -9 to +18, which made didn't make sense that I was getting a hit on the tab. Every one of them that I checked out of the hole would not register a positive signal. The second time I tried the same setup, 5 Khz, same disc settings, I decided to test the hits in multi IQ, nothing, not a peep. When I went back to 5Khz, there they were, loud and clear, same targets, ring tabs.

I was thinking to myself, that, possibly, I might get a hit on some deep nickles running 5Khz without having to listen to all the mid tones. Well, today, I do the same thing, only this time, I had just made a pass with the CTX over this spot and didn't get a good repeatable signal. Low and behold, I get a solid 28-32 both ways and dig a 6" plug and out pops a nickle ? At first I'm thinking its a war nickle due to the high numbers, but, nope, just a plain Jefferson. I pass the coil over it, nothing, not a peep, notta.

Any idea's as to what's going on here, I don't think it's a bad thing, just a bit weird I thought.

• Like 1

I want to get this straight in my mind.  You get a good repeatable signal and dig the target.  Once the target is out of the hole you do a simple air test with the target and the machine is silent?

21 minutes ago, Mark Gillespie said:

I want to get this straight in my mind.  You get a good repeatable signal and dig the target.  Once the target is out of the hole you do a simple air test with the target and the machine is silent?

That's correct Mark.  First, I have that range disc'd out completely, second the VDI's are hitting almost double what they  normally read when running in 5Khz......This same thing has happened over a dozen times so far.

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Alright Dan, I’ll give it a shot here to what is happening.

First and foremost if one wants to look for deep nickes 5khz single freq is not where the action will be.

Better to use park 2, field 2 or prospecting modes if one has 800 model.

As far as what you were witnessing.  Single freq ops using 5khz is not as resonant on lower conduciors hence Nox won’t hit as strong and or will have tendency to give ID in error.  You were seeing up averaging of signal.  Remember tones wise, disc wise or notch wise Nox tone and ID is based off of how the detector feels about the target.  Hence you had the junk disc or notched out yet it gave tone and ID ( in error).

An Eqx user could witness what you dId using other freqs available on Eqx using single freq ops.  ID of targets solo buried multi frequency will give more accurate tone and ID to boot.

My experiences show the use of 5 kHz single freq can have benefits looking for higher conductors in modern( lower conductive trash).  Expect what you find higher conductive wise located with use of 5 kHz that was missed with mulit freq to to lean more on the shallower side depth wise.

As a target masked (higher conductive) gets deeper below lower conductive junk mulit freq will have equal or even better advantage in seeing the higher conductor.

And naturally using 5khz one has to be mindful of the good ole bottlecaps, as they will read high like a higher conducive coin where transitioning  to multifreq will generally show a lot lower ID exposing.

Hi,

very interesting question. I keep my pull tabs and ring tabs for comparison each year. Who knows why. I guess I'll recycle them someday.

For surface to shallow ring tabs and in air tests in Park 1 multi I can get any where for 15 to 20 on a variety of ring tabs (beavertails?) In my high mineralized soil the deeper the target the higher the target ID can be if it is coin sized or bigger. Even with the Nox, a nickel can go up to 18 OR get its target ID pulled down into the single digits depending on the Fe3O4 levels if it is past 6". Most of my single frequency detectors have up averaged any mid conductor target at depth here. The Deus was really bad about that and so were most of my Whites, Fisher and Teknetics detectors in the past. Pull tabs and nickels could read in the quarter/silver range at deeper than 6".

Running in 5kHz with -9 to +18 disced out I can see where you would not get a hit on surface to say 6" ring tabs in New Mexico (kind of like Colorado dirt maybe). Deeper than that anything can happen from my experience.

I actually do have some ring tabs that hit 20 on the Nox in air tests in default modes.

Jeff

• Like 1

Ok..I used the Nox for about 7 months and then went back to my CTX, but, during that time I never ran straight 5Khz. I just started hunting again with an 800 and decided to experiment with single frequency settings. What is interesting is that multi will not register the tabs in the ground at depth on the ones I cross checked.  One thing I didn't mention, all that did this were the round tabs, not the rectangular ones that usually read higher than round in my ground.

I can tell you from experience on running 5kHz on both my Makro Multi Kruzer as well as my EQ800 that 5kHz is the most EMI affected frequency I've ever used when detecting. No idea if that factors into your scenario, but just a thought. 

• Like 3

What firmware version is on the machine?