Hey guys, 

My first time posting here, hopefully I'm not breaking any rules! 

My mother recently took some of her old gold jewelry to be melted down into a bracelet. While she was there the jeweler pulled out one of her bracelets saying it was too valuable and shouldn't be melted down. So that's got me trying to find out more about it and what type of chain it is.

So far no luck! I thought you guys might know something and have some suggestions whether she should sell it or not! 

Cheers! 

Danny. 

IMG_20190318_184642.jpg

IMG_20190318_184633.jpg

IMG_20190318_184542.jpg

• Like 4

Did he offer to buy it?  Are you sure it is 24 k ?

I think she should do what she wants it it...it is only worth what some other will pay...

take it to  some other jeweler and see what they say.

fred

• Like 1

I think Fred’s right, I asked my wife and she didn’t recognize the design she’s  been in the business for this stuff a long time and can usually spot the brands from a distance, she asked if their were any marks? She said 24K gold like that has been popular in China for a long time it not popular now with the younger generation as much.

my only question and it’s not possible to tell from the picture, could it be very old??? That might be important. Taking a second look at the clasp I would not think it to be ancient.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 4:05 AM, Danny Atherton said:

My first time posting here, hopefully I'm not breaking any rules! 

Really only one rule that matters on these forums - be a decent human being! :smile:

Take it to a couple jewelers for opinions. Beware that if they are looking to buy it themselves they might lowball the value. The guy did you right. That is a nice chain. No matter what you should be able to sell it for more than melt value.

There is a mark on the clasp possibly but I can't make it out.

• Like 3

Looks like a 999.9 hallmark which would indicate 24K gold.  If there are any other hallmarks they should indicate maker, date etc.

Does your camera have a macro mode? If so, perhaps post a photo of the hallmarks.  The maker can make all the difference in the world. 

An auction house had a beautiful watch listed as a "14K TWO TONE GOLD AND DIAMOND HAMILTON LADY'S WATCH".  Looked far nicer and different then any Hamilton I've ever seen, and when I looked at the watch, it was not a Hamilton at all, it was a Swiss HEBE INCABLOC watch, basically a $5,000 watch, ended up picking it up for a song 🙂

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By AussieDigs
      Hi Guys n Gals.
      I’ve never ran a detector but very much looking forward to it. I live in the Nth East of Victoria Australia with access to what was some of the richest gold fields. I have no idea as to what the ground is like but it would be a fair guess that it would be at least reasonably mineralised.
      I know i will be a beginner but i dont want to spend my limited budget on a beginners detector. I’m willing to do the hard yards with the likes of an intermediate detector. The areas that i would be concentrating on is Beechworth and the Buckland Valley etc, so the ground will have plenty of iron and the likes and mineralised. I will be working mostly around the mines on hillsides etc. 
      I noticed a used Nokta Fors Core for sale so did a little research. Nice detector. VLF struggling in the mineralised ground or does the Nokta fair not too badly? A good used GP3000 is going to be twice the price and above my budget but i could work on that. Lack of descrimination would probably be an issue at these workings? Whites SPP? I’m finding it hard to get too much info on these but from what i have read they seem like a good detector.
      Because of the likes of the trash and mineralised ground, i’m finding it difficult to choose between the VLF and a PI. I could start with the likes of the Nokta and purchase the likes of the GP or SPP further down the road.
      Does the SPP come under another name or as an updated model?
      Thanks all.
      Al.
    • By nwprospector
      I am kicking myself for not picking one up a few days ago, looks like the prices are creeping up on these and most stores show as sold out. Anyone know where I can pick one up at list in the US (~$179) that will ship in a few days? 
    • By sunnyvalegal
      Contact  problems. The + (positive)  tab for the right side battery bends backwards when changing batteries. Any suggestions on a fix?

• By Sting Ray
      For the last 3 days I have been taking a friend's grandson detecting along the Atlantic ocean.  He is 11 and was having some difficulty using my Minelab Equinox.  It was my lightest detector.  He seems really excited to hunt but I can tell the swinging and the digging in wet sand is a bit too much for him.  Is there any lighter, cheaper detectors that will still perform well along the surf?  He only goes in ankle deep water and mostly hunts the wet & dry sand.

Thank you.
    • By Allan
      Does anyone know of any war nickels that don't have silver content except for the 1942.
    • By BeachHunter
      I’m interested in finding a used Tejon. The Tesoro’s remind me of the Sovereign GT in some ways.