24k Gold Bracelet

Hey guys, 

My first time posting here, hopefully I'm not breaking any rules! 

My mother recently took some of her old gold jewelry to be melted down into a bracelet. While she was there the jeweler pulled out one of her bracelets saying it was too valuable and shouldn't be melted down. So that's got me trying to find out more about it and what type of chain it is.

So far no luck! I thought you guys might know something and have some suggestions whether she should sell it or not! 

Cheers! 

Danny. 

IMG_20190318_184642.jpg

IMG_20190318_184633.jpg

IMG_20190318_184542.jpg

• Like 4

I think Fred’s right, I asked my wife and she didn’t recognize the design she’s  been in the business for this stuff a long time and can usually spot the brands from a distance, she asked if their were any marks? She said 24K gold like that has been popular in China for a long time it not popular now with the younger generation as much.

my only question and it’s not possible to tell from the picture, could it be very old??? That might be important. Taking a second look at the clasp I would not think it to be ancient.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 4:05 AM, Danny Atherton said:

My first time posting here, hopefully I'm not breaking any rules! 

Really only one rule that matters on these forums - be a decent human being! :smile:

Take it to a couple jewelers for opinions. Beware that if they are looking to buy it themselves they might lowball the value. The guy did you right. That is a nice chain. No matter what you should be able to sell it for more than melt value.

There is a mark on the clasp possibly but I can't make it out.

• Like 3

Looks like a 999.9 hallmark which would indicate 24K gold.  If there are any other hallmarks they should indicate maker, date etc.

Does your camera have a macro mode? If so, perhaps post a photo of the hallmarks.  The maker can make all the difference in the world. 

An auction house had a beautiful watch listed as a "14K TWO TONE GOLD AND DIAMOND HAMILTON LADY'S WATCH".  Looked far nicer and different then any Hamilton I've ever seen, and when I looked at the watch, it was not a Hamilton at all, it was a Swiss HEBE INCABLOC watch, basically a $5,000 watch, ended up picking it up for a song ?

• Like 1