I doubt those machines can detect the post. It's too small and white gold - bad combination. And those are lower frequency detectors specifically made to not pick up every little bit of aluminum... and unfortunately tiny jewelry. You are probably going to need a 13 kHz or better machine. As Fred notes the Fisher 19 kHz Gold Bug or F19 or Teknetics G2 or G2 plus would do the trick, as would many others.

Not sure where you are but you might try Ringfinders or a local metal detecting club for help.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I doubt those machines can detect the post. It's too small and white gold - bad combination. And those are lower frquency detectors specifically made to not pick up every little bit of aluminum... and unfortunately tiny jewelry. You are probably going to need a 13 kHz or better machine. As Fred notes the Fisher 19 kHz Gold Bug or F19 or Teknetics G2 or G2 plus would do the trick, as would many others.

Not sure where you are but you might try Ringfinders or a local metal detecting club for help.

Im in Fenton Missouri about 20 mi. w of STL.

Thanks for your input

6 hours ago, fredmason said:

if it was lost recently...and the area is certain then

no discrimination at all...it will not be a big signal, nor deep....

if you have access to a goldbug or similar detector use that.

fred

OK ,  appreciate the reply.

Tim

You are not going to find it with what you have.   An F75 with the 3x6 concentric coil in Disc, boost mode, at 99 sensitivity will hit it if you get within an inch of it.   It will be a tiny signal that bounces all over the place, mostly into the 40s.  Hunt in1 tone VCO with the Disc at 6 and notch out everything above foil and hunt for the tiny tight response.

The GoldbugPro/F19/G2 will hit it almost as good as the F75 but the F75 boost mode has a much better audio.

Good Luck.  Even prospecting units have it tough on white gold studs.

HH
Mike

• Like 2

try craigslist for a more appropriate detector.

I use the Tesoro Tejon with 9x8 concentric coil. I pick up on tiny earrings and pieces pretty deep. Foster grant nickel silver label 8" down, earing posts at the beach 4-5" down and they come in really loud and clear. I don't think their concentric coil would perform the same. Many like the Vequero model but that has a lower khz than the Tejon and the Tejon has a double discrim circuit.

Basic operation for hunting if there is little or no trash run all metal mode on dic1 If it picks up on iron and can slaw then kick it up till the trash just scratches out.

Set disc 2 for pull tab. 

If you hear a target that sounds nice and smooth (most trash is harsh and obnoxious) flick the trigger forward and if it still rings it is a in the copper to silver range. If it cuts out you can either just dig it or roll the bottom disc 1 until it scratches. and if it is between lines of nickel dig it. Nickels fall dead on in the middle of those 2 lines, bottom line can be jewelry but most likely pull tab end or large foil, upper line almost always a square tab. You will get used to the sounds and know the subtle difference between junk and a good target. I recently picked up a big ring that seems to be white gold that was in the pull tab range and probably would have skipped digging it on a vdi machine as it is dead on the square tabs. Signal on that was really clean.

Keep in mind that Tesoro seems to be out of business but rumors (soon to be legend) they may come back which I doubt.

I started on a Bounty Hunter way back in the 90's and only real beef is it had no ground balance control and the hard wired coil which was too small to get any worthy depth. Most of the stuff I found with it was more because I happened to be looking down ?