Gold Basin Quick Trip

I targeted gold but didn't come back with any.  When in Gold Basin you can also target other things.  I went back to an area (actually several) where I had found meteorites and I got a couple.  One is flattish and only weighs a half an ounce and the other one on the right is 1.5 ounces.  These were found with the 7000.  After I found them I experimented with settings for the Equinox on finding meteorites.

Meteorites are like hot rocks and can resemble the ground.  It was really not possible to hear them unless I was in gold mode.  I went from slow to very fast.  I went from all metal to reject 9 only in gold mode.  Hot rocks are the problem for a VLF.  I think the setting that needs more experimenting is speed at maximum, iron reject can vary but reject just 9.  This gives an audio response for objects above ground noise and lets me hear a meteorite.

Does anyone have a suggested 800 setting for meteorites?

Mitchel

I've added a few pictures of Gold Basin for those of you who don't see it often.

IMG_9924.JPG

IMG_9925.JPG

IMG_9927.JPG

IMG_20190315_133202.jpg

IMG_20190315_132949.jpg

IMG_20190315_133036.jpg

IMG_20190316_090453.jpg

• Like 8

No, I'll be there.  I just had some places in mind I wanted to check before next week.

On March 18, 2019 at 2:23 PM, mn90403 said:

I have a suggestion, Mitchel: stick with the GPZ 7000 for hunting those GB space rocks! And take advantage of the 19" coil...maximum ground coverage is key when detecting meteorites. And with ZVT, you'll be picking up far fewer hot rocks than with a VLF, which means you can move faster, not to mention the significant depth advantage.

And who knows? You may even swing over a golden lunker lurking in the depths...?

• Like 4

On 3/18/2019 at 2:23 PM, mn90403 said:

I targeted gold but didn't come back with any.  When in Gold Basin you can also target other things.  I went back to an area (actually several) where I had found meteorites and I got a couple.  One is flattish and only weighs a half an ounce and the other one on the right is 1.5 ounces.  These were found with the 7000.  After I found them I experimented with settings for the Equinox on finding meteorites.

Meteorites are like hot rocks and can resemble the ground.  It was really not possible to hear them unless I was in gold mode.  I went from slow to very fast.  I went from all metal to reject 9 only in gold mode.  Hot rocks are the problem for a VLF.  I think the setting that needs more experimenting is speed at maximum, iron reject can vary but reject just 9.  This gives an audio response for objects above ground noise and lets me hear a meteorite.

Mitchel

I've added a few pictures of Gold Basin for those of you who don't see it often.

IMG_9924.JPG

IMG_9925.JPG

IMG_9927.JPG

IMG_20190315_133202.jpg

IMG_20190315_132949.jpg

IMG_20190315_133036.jpg

IMG_20190316_090453.jpg