Hello Friends ūüėĀ

Someone recommended me to start with a GPX 5000 for my Project. He said its not a big difference between a GPX 5000 and a GPZ 7000. So i have some questions, i hope you can help me.

Is it true that the GPZ can measure about 40 Percent deeper comparing to a GPX ? Is the GPZ really so much better that its worth to pay a higher price?

Which one of them would be easier to use for me, as a newbie? Is it smarter to start with a GPX or GPZ, what do you think? 

If i come in rainy wheather is it possible for the GPX to resist? Has he a IP64 code?

What about to buy a used one? I read that the older GPZs works sometimes better than the new ones, is this true? Is the newest software ( 31/7/17 NEW SOFTWARE UPDATE ) really always the optimized one?

Look here under the category FIND_BLOG, the same you can also find for the GPZ  http://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-gpx-5000-metal-detector-11-in-mono-coil-bonus-15-mono-coil  !  Are this just storys so that they sell the Detectors better or is this realistic? What do you think?

What is the different about the GPZ 14 coil is fully waterproof to 1 m (3 ft) and GPZ 19 Super-D Coil? Is one of them going more deep, or is it more sesitive?  What Coils do yu use with yur GPZ or GPX?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

For everybody who want to know more about my Project look here:

Neither detector is waterproof. The coils are water resistant to a  meter or so.

You didn't say what type of gold you are after. Big nuggets? Little 1/2 gram and smaller nuggets? Very fine gold?

Invisible gold?

A Equinox 600 or 800  a Goldbug or Whites may be all you need.

The 5000 is an excellent detector with many coils available.

The 7000 is my favorite and is the most expensive.

Think it over...Read Steve's recommendations and get back to us.

fred

• Like 1

The GPZ may outperform the GPX on certain gold types by a wide margin. It also can have issues with some ground types the GPX handles easily. For the majority of gold my personal opinion is they are in the same ballpark once you use the optional GPX coils to good effect. The GPX is the "safe" choice.

A used GPZ can be updated to the latest software. Beware used models - counterfeits are extremely common overseas.

One of my mates bought his second 7000 a few weeks ago. We did some testing against the 4500 using both the 11" and 14" coiltek elites coils. (not a lot of difference between a 4500 and a 5000 IMO)

We placed some test bits of gold in some mineralized ground and at another site with less mineralized ground. No matter what settings/timings I used I couldn't hear the small bits of gold that the 7000 could. We even tried cranking the 4500's gain to 15, stabilizer on 20 and audio set to boost. We also tried using sensitive extra and normal timings but it couldn't match the 7000 on the small gold.

On a larger bit of gold, I matched the 7000 but not using Enhance. Had to go to Normal timing and set the gain to 5. However, the 4500 was not really usable in the surrounding ground unless the gain was lowered to 1.

At Gain of 1, it still picked up the test bits but not as clear as Gain on 5 which i felt heard that bit as clear as the 7000. 

Obviously, testing like this is not the same as testing undug targets but unless one machine handles air tests better it seemed a reasonable way to compare machines.

From what I saw it made up my mind that its time to get rid of the 4500 and buy a7000.  

• Like 1

Hey Jin, how small were the small nuggets? 

Hi Nenad, 0.27 gram was the small one. I dug a thin trench about 2" deep gradually getting deeper to around 10" deep. We moved the gold deeper until we felt the zed would recognize it as a target if we were detecting the area. 

I have gold specimens a GPX can’t detect, period. That the GPZ detects at several inches. What percent more is several inches over 0 inches? 

• Like 4

I too have a piece of gold my GPX 4500 can't detect, it's .5 of a gram from memory and very lumpy looking like honeycomb.  No settings or coil I've got can make the GPX detect it even touching the coil.  I think I found it with the GM1000.  But by the sounds of it I'm glad we have mild soil here for the 4500 as I always run sensitive extra and am easily able to pick up a .27 of a gram piece with quite good depth.

• Like 1

Phrunt, my 4500 picked up the 0.27gram bit easily just nowhere as deep as the 7000 did. I think from memory i found this bit using the 18" Elite coil.

• Like 1

Hey Guys, I have another question:

How much would you pay maxium for this used GPZ 7000 from 2015 updated with the newest software, in very good condition?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By phoenix
      I`m sure some will remember when the 7000 first came out I was not a big fan of it, but here it is 4 and a bit years later it`s obvious to me the fault was with the operator, not the detector. Just lately I`ve lifted my game again with the 7000, I`ve cranked the gain a bit and cut target volume down to almost nothing and I now always¬†work very slow, and it amazes me some of the pieces I am now getting at depth that I had previously missed.¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬†This is not a big piece by any stretch of the imagination, but for the most part, I am detecting ground that in the last 40 years has seen literally thousands of detectors. ¬† This one was the tiniest break in the threshold and down about 6 or 7" in very hard ground.¬† Hopefully there¬†is a big bit waiting for me¬†ūüôā

• By kiwijw
      Just my 10 cents worth on after market coils. I know this thread was about the coils for the 2300 but someone mentioned the Russian coils for the Zed. I made a small mention last week about me taking delivery of three of their coils. The 10 x 9, 12" round spiral wound & the 15 X 14. Last weekend with Simon I got skunked with the 10 X 9. I had great intentions of trialing all three this weekend but got off to a good start with the 15 X 14 & just stuck with it. Actually it is my 2nd outing with the 15 X 14 & it is proving to me to be doing a very good job on ground I have pounded to death with the Zed & the minelab 14" coil that had stopped producing gold finds.
      I will do a more in depth post later but just to show you how well this 15 X 14 Russian X coil did for me on ground that was no longer coughing up gold with the ML 14" coil. The depth were staggering. I bang on about how blown away I still am after 2.5 years of swinging the Zed & the ML 14" coil but this 15 X 14 coil is  next level. It runs quite a bit more sensitive so I am putting up with a bit more ratyness.  I tried to stay in my usual settings of High Yield/Normal & sensitivity up at 18-19. We had quite a bit of heavy rain the other day which made for much easier digging but it livened up the ground a bit. So wasn't able to handle the ratyness all the time. I have got into a good understanding of my Zed running in these high end settings I am pretty good though at dealing with it but it can get fatiguing with all that commotion & reading & deciphering the signals in between it all. But it pays off.
      3.3 grams at a good 14 inches. My biggest for ages.

Some of the small ones were at around 4-5 inches. & 2  were just .06 of a gram.

So small for that big coil at that depth. I think so any way.

Total of 12 for 5.5 grams

I am loving this coil. It has changed the face of my detecting for me on old flogged Zed ground. Ye Ha. Bring it on.
      Good luck out there
      JW       
    • By flakmagnet
      It is unusual for a WM 12 to take over 24 hours to recharge? That is what I have recently been seeing when I recharge it after being out for about 6 hours of detecting. Does that mean the batteries need replacing? If so, how is that done?
      I will also take a look at the 7000 threads, but I don't remember seeing anything on this.

• By Jin
      My second outing with the zed I tried the factory presets except I used semi-auto ground balance and ground smoothing off. Tried those settings on a patch I've pulled many different nuggets out of over the last year. (4.5 ounces) The zed didn't get any more targets using those settings. 
      I then proceeded to increase the sensitivity up a fair bit but still no luck. I tried many settings/timings but alas no more gold with the zed on this patch.
      As a last ditch resort to try and justify my purchase of the zed after a 3.5-year wait, I cranked the zed up to the most aggressive settings I could get away with hoping to find something that my 4500 had missed.  
      The settings were... Extra Deep, Normal, sensitivity 20, threshold pitch 33, Locate patch, audio smoothing high. (also used steelphase booster with filter 3 to quite it down even more) (ferrite balance etc) 
      I was pleasantly surprised at how well the zed handled the ground using these settings compared to the gpx when running flat out. Hardly any hot rocks compared to the gpx. Unfortunately after a day of trying this and many settings and thoroughly going over small patches of ground that the 4500 had success on the zed found nothing. My conclusion is one of three things.
      1. I don't know what I'm doing. Although surely it's pretty foolproof using the zed in factory settings with a controlled coil swing and the coil slightly off the ground. 
      or
      2. Hitting my patch over the last year with the 4500 in Normal and Sharp timings with gain at 15 has done the job. Id previously used enhance with a high gain and done ok. But once i cranked it up in Normal there was still gold left that enhance couldn't hear. It makes me wonder if folk who say that they got gold in past patches with the zed ever bothered to max out the gpx on their patches first.
      or
      3. The gold was fairly shallow (350mm was the deepest bit found) and all within the range of the gpx so no chance for the zed to prove its worth.
      I was a little disappointed with the zed if I am honest but will give it time and look forward to seeing some kind of advantage over the 4500 that I hear about from others who have had 4500/5000 and now swing the 7000. The thing that I didn't like is that it's advised to keep the coil slightly off the ground. I'm a scrubber and like to use the coiltek Elites to push branches/leaves out of the way in an attempt to get right up close to the ground. Sort of defeats the purpose if you ask me to be swinging 3cm off the ground.

• By afreakofnature
      My Z’s GPS will not connect to the satellites.  I have left this on for days now for it to connect and did a factory reset and left in for a day. No luck.  Anyone else have this problem and maybe a solution.  Probably gonna be calling Minelab but my warrenty is just out of date.
    • By Jin
      When you connect the zed up to install updated software does it tell you if you any updates have been previously installed? The machine I just brought has only been used a few times (3 years old) The chap I bought it off didn't know much about prospecting so I'm presuming no updates have been done.