Zip Zip With The 800

mn90403

I got my 6 inch coil for the 800 back in July.  I was so anxious to use it I went right out to the beach rather than wait for a gold trip.  I found 3 rings that trip.

Now today after having gone on a gold trip and still not having found a gold nugget with the 6 inch coil I decided to go back to the beach and leave it on.  I think this is the first time since July!  Well, at the end of my gold trip I had tried to use the 6" in gold mode to find a meteorite. (I can't hear them in any other mode.)  What I had found in my experiments was I could eliminate many of the hot rocks if I just rejected #9.  I could swing and hear a meteorite I had already found with my 7000.  What helped the sound was to make the machine quick (6, 7, 8).  I had this in mind when I went to the beach.  It started slow and as far as good targets was concerned it stayed slow but I had fun!

I'd say the thing I learned today was that I can swing the little coil fast (zipzip), on a long shaft (next to the last hole on the handle) in all metal and still hear deep targets.  I was digging targets down to 10 inches in some little patches.  They did not start out with a good ID but I could hear them.  Some of the pennies were at 10 inches when measured by my 6" coil and my 6" basket digger.  The bucket handle was down over 10 inches.  Perhaps my most impressive 10 inch deep dig was the little hook.  It is iron (I've turned the volume up on iron a bit) but it also had a solid shape sound to it.

It was fun swinging a stick with a little coil on it and hearing a zip zip.  Try it.

Mitchel

IMG_9929.JPG

• Like 6

I should add that I was in both of the beach modes.  I'm going to go try it again now.

I too have only found gold with the 11 but maybe we should be swinging it faster also?  haha  I can't swing the 15 real fast but maybe that has something to do with the IDing being a bit tricky.  I do try to give the 15 a fast wiggle near the tip to pinpoint and ID.

The 6 seems to have a large fringe area.  It also seems to be sensitive to EMI.  Several times helicopters went over and their electronic noise could be heard on my headphones and this just doesn't happen with the 11 with the exception of one time.  

Yes, the foil bottle seals do come in low.  They are about 3-5 and I don't see them that often in the surf sand but yesterday there were a few I dug.

This weekend I'm going to try a small gold area again and try to swing faster.  I already know that if I am up on the side of a wash/gully I could swing fast and see bullets and gold.

Same is with the 11" coil.. if you swing it faster, it get's deeper. I had several situations, where I could barely hear a signal.. waggling above the target made it sound clear and solid numbers. If you swing it too fast, you'll miss small shallow targets, but gain depth on larger targets. Definitely helps IDing items within detection depth limits imho

Mastering coil motion to acquire and to help interrogate a target, once acquired are key to this machine especially when dealing with ferrous target in the mix.  I also found this is something that takes time to develop a rhythm on each hunt to get in the zone.

I have also found that while I have had some level of success with all 3 coils, I seem to keep coming back to the 11" coil as the optimum, not surprisingly.  Can't deal with the 6" footprint coverage on wide open situations (beaches and plowed fields) because the micro coverage makes me want to tiptoe along (unless I am focused in on pounding a curb strip sized patch on those sites) and while I love the coverage vs. weight of the 15" coil and it's ability to lock onto miniscule targets making it my go-to, non-submerged beach coil, it is not much deeper than the 11 and subject to becoming overwhelmed in high target density and/or mineralized soil conditions.  So the 11" it is for me for 80% to 90% of my detecting situations, now.

• Like 2