Depth Gauge

Dig It

I know I've seen some talk about depth gauge readings on NOX 800 but I never seem to have had any problems until yesterday. Hooked up with Grizz12 and his new 800 & 11" coil for

his 1st hunt. Took him & my 800 with 6" coil to that same stretch of Lake beach I've been hunting since last March. Figured it be a good spot for Grizz12 to start, all kinds of targets so he

can get to see machine work. So after Grizz12 got fired up ( Park 1 ) I started looking for that ring I know has to be somewhere on beach in the low water conditions. Using Park 1 myself

I started my hunt, I've done the update on machine, & using my 6" coil it seemed my depth gauge was way off, targets that were reading 2 to 6 inches were more like 12" or deeper, what am

I missing ? Trying to shake the cobwebs off & get going for this season. Any ideas or thoughts ??? Grizz12 had a good couple hr.'s, found normal trash & 13 cents, I still had a good couple hr.'s

myself finding a 1961 nickel ( Oh Yah  !!!! ) & an unreadable dime. But the depth gauge was killing me !!!! Help !!!!!!

20190319_130219_resized.jpg

20190319_182318_resized.jpg

20190319_182408_resized.jpg

• Like 1

I think I read in the manual (I've read it too many times and I think I just need to print it out : I don't remember stuff I see on a electronic screen like I do if it is a piece of paper in my hand) that the depth gauge is set for coin sized objects. Smaller objects and larger objects will read differently. Ground conditions like extremely wet, semi-frozen and extremely dry can have a factor too.  I have had my depth gauge read one arrow (2.5") and turn out to be a crushed 8" aluminum can or large iron. Neither of those was a coin sized object so.............. I defer to the manual's information and hope for better accuracy in an update someday.

Jeff  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Wow, I do like the location you're hunting there! beautiful.  If I had to pick another place in the world to live, Alaska would be it.

I can't comment on the depth meter, I never use it on any detector.  I don't know why.. I just never needed it I guess.

My Eqx is the first detector I've owned that has a depth gauge. I tend to use it more as a relative attribute than an predictor of actual depth. I use it as one more bit of information when making the dig/no dig decision. Tone, TID, a 90-dgree scan of the target, approximate size as suggested by pinpoint mode, and approximate depth are my "base" decision making data.

• Like 1

I find the depth meter is the last thing on the Equinox that I count on...it has never seemed accurate.

• Haha 1

Honestly? I never use the gauge on the equinox.. it's pretty much useless, if you're not after coins only.

Probably the 6" coil gives some different readings, too. You could check that with your buddy with the stock coil on some targets - would be interesting..

• Like 2

Thx Guys, I'm truly a Blonde, German & Old !!!! Haha !!!!!!!! I print out the Manual & put in binder with pages in Sheet Protectors so I can look up info.& make notes on pages with Grease Pen & with Highlighted Pg.'s Already Marked & it goes on every hunt, BUT DID I BOTHER TO OPEN & READ It ??? NNOOOOOO !!!!!! Cabin Fever is ruthless, plays with your BRAIN !!!!!  Watch out Nevada & Arizona next winter here I come !!! LOL !!!!!!!! Seem to work good last season I must have just been missing an adjustment or 2. ( I'll open & Read some Pages ) And get back into the Machines Head !!!!!   :wink:

And yes Phrunt this place I've called home for close to 40 yr.'s is Absolutely Breathtaking !!!! And if at all possible you should make the trip, with your Detector's of Choice !!!!!!!!!

20190321_071203_resized.jpg

• Like 3

Definitely wouldn't say the depth gauge is a precision instrument, but it did work better after the last update.  I hunt mainly by tones, the audio does modulate once the targets get deep, nothing better then a faint high tone zip zip and a faint pin-point.    At one particular park like site that has been hammered I was digging 10"+ deep silver coins and the depth gauge was pegged ?

Beautiful country your in, but it does look pretty cold.

• Like 3

Knocking the cobwebs off myself & machine, didn't really have any problems last season, actually thought the depth gauge was close enough. Most likely didn't adjust properly, I also detect by tones as well, I just wasn't use to depth gauge being that far off. I've about had it with 6 months of winter, more fun when I was younger. Bought a newer full size truck & a toy hauler come the end of August ( after a day or 2 at the Alaska State Fair ) it's off to N. Nevada 1st and then I will let the weather push me south till I end up in S. Arizona meeting up & detecting with like minded folks.... Then drive back to Alaska for summer & repeat. But it wasn't a waste of time, I did get Grizz12 on some thawed ground for his 1st detecting session, & I did find that 1961 nickel, even though I was looking for that 1st ring find, so I'm not worried.... Just have to be ready for my 1st nugget hunt trip come middle of May.