Sign in to follow this  
steveg

A Few Recent Finds...

First hunt in a LONG time; I was happy that I was able to prove to myself that I haven't totally forgotten how to run the Equinox!

Oh -- the 1916 Merc?  The mint mark -- if there was one -- was worn off...  😞   LOL!

Steve

3-16-19FindsFM.JPG

• Like 6

Steve, 
I feel your pain. Circumstances here at Tinker have kept me away from my MD for months. Only out once local in since October, and just for a few modern coins.
They have control burned a lot of areas on base this last couple of weeks, so the tall 3ft grass is down to nubs which is great because a lot of the areas burned were the old housing areas that we have discussed hunting previously. 
Sometime in the next few weeks, I'm going to start hitting those areas and I'll give you a buzz and try to get you up here with me for a day or two.
I know you are entering your 'peak' season for work, so you'll have to let me know when you are available. 
Going back through the Nox manual trying to remember what I previously knew, but the brain has flushed!

(12"x15" coming in this week! 6" on order but my dealer is waiting on shipments).

Check in with you soon... In the meantime, I have cleaned and stocked our under-garage tornado shelter and made sure that the most important item was properly hidden...a fifth of Irish Whiskey! 😆😇

• Like 1

Elf --  

Sounds like you have been as busy as I have!  Yep, busy time of year, but I am sure I can squeeze in a hunt or two!  I look forward to it!  

Sounds like the base's controlled burns have been a good thing, that might open up a few spots to find a couple of goodies!

Steve

P. S. -- let's hope you don't need to spend much time in that tornado shelter this spring!  😉

• Like 1

Looks like a great hunt to me!!

• Like 1

Steve - Great you are able to take a break from putting together all those new rod system's.  Still loving mine.  Great finds.

• Like 1

Thanks, guys.  It was nice to get out and remind myself how much fun this hobby is!  😉

(Thanks for the kind words, Chase -- glad you are liking the shaft!)

Steve

Thank you, sir!

Steve

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Dan(NM)
      Yesterday my buddy stumbled onto another hot spot at the 1850's site we've been hunting since the beginning of the year and found a Dragoon and an R button along with a really nice rosette. He wasn't able to go out today, but he gave me his blessing to head over and hunt it today. I'm sure he's not to happy about that now 🙂
        I got there at 05:30 this morning and right away period items began to come to light, dropped musket ball, pistol ball, percussion cap and a trouser button on the first pass. That's always a good sign when you start to pull some keepers right from the get go. On the next pass, a percussion cap, 2 pulltabs, a pistol ball and then I get a 21-22 on the Nox 800. We seldom get very many items that hit in the 20's except aluminum slaw or deeply buried aluminum cans, most hits are in the 9 to 19 range. I fully expected to dig a piece of trash and was totally unprepared for what came out, when I saw what it was, I just threw it back onto the dirt pile, stood up and started walking around stunned. A major bucket lister that I always wanted to dig, but just never figured I'd ever see come outta the hole, my first Spanish Reale.  My goal for the day was to at least dig a Dragoon or maybe another R button. This was the last thing I thought would ever come from this site, I'm still in awe that I was privileged to find such an awesome coin.
        Somehow I was able to compose myself and continue hunting for another 9 hours and ended up with some excellent relics to add to my display case once I finish hunting this site. I did dig a lead, 1 piece button, my 3rd from here, anyone have any idea if it's period and what it's from?  Once again my settings on the Nox

11" coil
      Sens 23
      Recovery 4
      Iron bias  0
      No disc
      GB at 3-6
      Park 1
      2-tones
      Tone break -9 to +8

• By Tmox
      I found this very worn coin on the beach with the Equinox. I'd @ 14 and appears to be similar metal to a nickel. There is the bust of a head on the front looking to the left. The reverse shows the number 5.

I've searched Google for octagonal coins with no luck.  I found this in an area where I was finding bronze nails from a 1860 shipwreck.

Anyone know what it is?
      Thanks,
      Tim

• By Tometusns
      I got a call from a friend who journeyed down this way so I meet up with him at an old park here in town. It's given up old coins a well as civil war relics. I wasn't prepared for what I was going to find. I dug an 1868 shield nickel! Wow! I was excited. Then just a short distance away I got another nickel signal. I hollered at Rick and said another shield nickel!! We were both laughing. His wife had come along so I told her she could have the rest of the area around the old Oak tree and I ventured off. Five min. later I hollered at Rick again " you're not going to believe this" it was another shield nickel. I have only found three shield nickels my entire life and to find three in one short hunt was just crazy! Anyways here's a pic of my finds. One round ball and three shield nickels. An hour and forty five minute hunt I will always remember. Tom

• By Dan(NM)
      Had a great time hunting the old 1850's site again today. Found a lot of fired lead along with a bucket lister and my oldest silver coin to date, an 1852 seated half dime. This is the first silver coin to come out of this place since we've been hunting it for the last few months. We both knew there was one hiding in there somewhere :-). Running the 800 with the 11 inch coil. My settings were as follows:. Park 2, recovery speed set at 6, iron bias 0, this time I performed a manual ground balance, sensitivity set at 18, 2 tones .

• By normmcq
      I asked and got permission to hunt an old yard in the older part of town.  I was told that it had been detected several times over the years and a $20.00 gold coin was found there about twenty years ago. I said that technology had gotten better and I would like to try my chances. I was very pleasantly surprised with this coin
    • By Ms.Molewacker
      Weather was just too nice not to camp this weekend here on the Wet side of WA. Off to a older camp ground that once had a apple orchard with a few old trees left. Zillions of pull tabs and can slow, but managed to pull a pile of coins including the 64 and 53 Silver Rosies. The silver came in on the first day, 20 minutes apart.  I don't think I have ever had a 2 silver day, and the nox was pulling deep for our stupid soil. 

Thanks for looking, and HH