Minelab Extreme Nugget Knowledge...

My buddy bought a minelab extreme with a stock coil on it and a docs screamer on it...we took it out today and found the normal 3 pockets full of square nails plus an actual cowboy boot spur (which was the awesome part of the day)... We brought a test nugget that about 6gr + I had a vial of about 10 Lil guys totaling just over a DWT... The machine would not hit either one... Is that norm?? What is the smallest nugget for this machine to hit on ..
Also any advice on settings for this machine will probably save this detector from closet time... Thnx

It should pick up the 6 grain nugget? As an example here is a bloke in Australia still picking up bits of around 4 grains with a SD2000:
http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t21565-a-good-week-for-the-sd2000

I think from memory most people told me not to expect too much on nuggets less than 0.5 grams (8-9 grains) from the SD series. My smallest with a SD2200D (had been updated to v2 specs) was 0.26 gram (tad over 4 grains) but yeah everything else was over 0.5 gram.
The GP Extreme's big claim to fame on release was better sensitivity to smaller gold so I would assume it could at least match or better the examples above. Can't say for sure as I have never used one.

• Like 1

Don't give up on the Extreme. You may have to spring for a selection of coils to get the most out of it but that would be slightly cheaper than a 7000. I have heard more regrets from people that have parted with an extreme than any other detector.