White Gold Question

I recently broke a vow and took my Tejon to the beach and surprisingly did pretty well. I came across this ring about 4-6" down in the damp sand.

It has no makers mark or any marks, the diamonds look like cz's not real diamonds as they refract some color and huff test they do not fog. When I compared the vdi on it from my AT Pro it comes in as a solid 55. Stainless rings come in at 48, titanium around 50 and 14k come in at solid 52 on that machine. Jeffersons come in at 52. Usually in my past experience 55 is a square tab or junk. Anyone know what range white gold comes in on?

Weight is .3 oz

IMG_0644.JPG

• Like 3

That is an unusual and beautiful ring Kac. If it was white gold, one would expect a karat marking somewhere, but darned if I know beyond that.

I know, all the old rings and big makers rings I found all have marks. With all the small makers and crafters it's possible it's good. I have my share of stainless, tungsten and titanium rings I have dug and some of those have mm on them. Those also ring in much lower <50 on my AT. Regular nickel silver would be tarnished in the salt. I have worked with ns and it tarnishes quick. I have never found any platinum that I know of so couldn't say what that runs at on the VDI. Also guessed that platinum they would use real diamonds and not cz's.

Have you ever picked up on plat?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kac said:

Have you ever picked up on plat?

I have not found much platinum that I know of. My wife and daughter scoop up the better things pretty quick though.

To me, it does not matter at all if the stones are real or what the carat count is or what. It matters if it is a nice, well designed piece. To my old eyes cubic zirconia sparkles as nice as real diamonds. More, it is the thrill of the hunt.

Your ring is kind of cool there Kac. Not that much of what we find has substantial value when time and expenses are considered, but cool stuff is always fun to find.

Real diamonds aren't as flashy, many do prefer the sparkle of cz's, much brighter.

20 hours ago, kac said:

When I compared the vdi on it from my AT Pro it comes in as a solid 55. Stainless rings come in at 48, titanium around 50 and 14k come in at solid 52 on that machine. Jeffersons come in at 52. Usually in my past experience 55 is a square tab or junk. Anyone know what range white gold comes in on?

If you are trying to equate a specific alloy...Stainless, Silver, Gold Platinum,  Alluminum white gold, or what ever it may be with the VDI of your machine you are wasting your time and simply fooling yourself. It don't work that way.

strick

I know it isn't aluminum and certainly not stainless or titanium and being in the salt it hasn't corroded or have any patina on it.

How do you test an metal like this? I just took a guess that it may be white gold based off my vdi that isn't that far off but definitely not a certain test. Other guess is white gold is not that expensive and would put this ring based on it's weight and those flashy cz's under $200.

Do you have a scratch tester? If it is platinum the solution will not dissolve the scratch... if it's stainless steel Or if it's gold it will disolve the scratch. 

Strick

• Like 1

I'll have to get a test kit. I really doubt it's platinum where it is loaded with cz's and no mm on it. I know it isn't stainless as I have plenty of stainless here and none hit that high on the vdi.

Thanks

Gold is soft when you scratch it. Stainless is hard when you scratch it. Nice ring either way good find.

Strick