Problem With My 800's Headphone Socket?

I bought an EQ 800 last year, and used it perhaps 4 times within two weeks before I put it away for winter.  I used the Minelab Bluetooth headphones, which I liked very much because they are comfortable and light.  With all of the recent medical warnings about earbuds and wireless headphones, I have decided to use wired headphones-including the ones I use with my iPhone-a try.   However, it seems that the headphone socket of my almost new Equinox 800 does not hold the headphone plug tight enough, so the headphone sound breaks and turns "scratchy."   When this happens the sound is switched back and forth from the headphones to the detector's speaker, but if I hold the headphone's plug tightly against the socket, then everything is fine.  When left alone the plug wiggles in the socket.  I tried 4 different headphones I have around my home, and none made a difference.

I will check with Minelab USA about this, but wanted to ask of you if this is a common problem with the EQ 600 and 800.

Guest Tnsharpshooter

I have not seen this problem reported anywhere thus far until yours.

Lots of 600 model users run earbuds too,

2 hours ago, RayfromAK said:

When this happens the sound is switched back and forth from the headphones to the detector's speaker, but if I hold the headphone's plug tightly against the socket, then everything is fine. 

So you're saying that the unit "will" kill the on board speaker and operate your plug in phones. Do you get mono or stereo?

Are the headphones you're trying from your iPhone the TRRS type, like the Apple ear buds?(tip, ring, ring, sleeve)

Unless Minelab has changed something about the onboard receptacle, the past posts on this topic I've read claim that the unit will not kill the on board speaker with headphones plugged in.

I've been researching the Nox 800 in consideration to purchase and this is one of the negative aspects I've come across. Some of this info I'm seeing is years old so I have no idea how the current iteration of the 800 is supposed to function. I'd appreciate any updated info you may have.

To get your plug to work, maybe try cutting back the plastic of your plug by about 1/64"- 1/32". That's probably all the difference you're making by pushing and holding it tightly into the receptacle by hand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

I've been researching the Nox 800 in consideration to purchase and this is one of the negative aspects I've come across. Some of this info I'm seeing is years old so I have no idea how the current iteration of the 800 is supposed to function. I'd appreciate any updated info you may have.

The Equinox has only been out for a little over a year.  This forum was started a few months before the first production release of the Equinox so most of this information is current or applies to the Equinox universally..  ML uses a certain plug wiring scheme to enable the speaker to be cut out.  If you use a third party set of wired headphones they need to be wired up as shown here to ensure the speaker properly cuts out.  Since the headphone jack on the Equinox is recessed to enable the proprietary water tight plug to screw into the jack cavity, it is best to try to use wired phones that utilize the Equinox screw in type connector to ensure a secure fit.

There are a number of relevant headphone threads that are linked in this convenient compilation thread put together by Steve Herschbach, the site's founder.

HTH

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

The Equinox has only been out for a little over a year.  This forum was started a few months before the first production release of the Equinox so most of this information is current or applies to the Equinox universally..  ML uses a certain plug wiring scheme to enable the speaker to be cut out.  If you use a third party set of wired headphones they need to be wired up as shown here to ensure the speaker properly cuts out.  Since the headphone jack on the Equinox is recessed to enable the proprietary water tight plug to screw into the jack cavity, it is best to try to use wired phones that utilize the Equinox screw in type connector to ensure a secure fit.

There are a number of relevant headphone threads that are linked in this convenient compilation thread put together by Steve Herschbach, the site's founder.

HTH

Yes, I read a post about this subject sometime before I started this thread. But the problem with my Equinox is that the headphone receptacle is too loose around the headphone's jack. In other words, if I plug-in the jack into the receptacle, the jack wiggles around. But if I hold it in place with my finger, then it works fine.  However, I haven't had the time to figure the mono versus stereo, at least until I can get a tight connection.  I emailed this thread to Minelab today, and see what they have to say about it. The iPhone's headphone's jack is a little different than the other headphones I have, so I may not be able to use it, anyway.  Later on I will either buy the proper jack as recommended by Minelab, but I still have to see what the problem is with the receptacle since the weight of the headphone's cord loosens that jack from the receptacle, and all I hear is a scratching sound, or just the sound switching back and forth from the headphones and the Equinox speaker.

The main question I have is... does it work with the provided Minelab headphones? If so the plug works as designed. It is pretty tight on the tolerances and some aftermarket plugs can’t seem to get seated quite right. They can’t push down far enough to seat properly, like a hair too much plastic. I have to push the Minelabs in quite firmly to get them to seat.

I actually never use the Minelab wired phones. Why would you not go wireless? The only time I plug phones in is if the head is submerged, in which case I use the Minelab waterproof adapter cable and Sun Ray Pro Gold CTX version headphones.

Like Trailryder42 mentions above shaving a hair amount of plastic off where it envelopes the metal may make all the difference.

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The main question I have is... does it work with the provided Minelab headphones? If so the plug works as designed. It is pretty tight on the tolerances and some aftermarket plugs can’t seem to get seated quite right. They can’t push down far enough to seat properly, like a hair too much plastic. I have to push the Minelabs in quite firmly to get them to seat.

I actually never use the Minelab wired phones. Why would you not go wireless? The only time I plug phones in is if the head is submerged, in which case I use the Minelab waterproof adapter cable and Sun Ray Pro Gold CTX version headphones.

Like Trailryder42 mentions above shaving a hair amount of plastic off where it envelopes the metal may make all the difference.

I don't have the Minelab wired headphones,  just the wireless one.  The wireless headphones work quite well, but I don't want to have a wireless receiver so close to my head for extended periods of time.  What I would like to do is to wear wired headphones similar to the iPhone's, or at least one that has very small ear pads that do not get my ears sweaty during the summer.

The Equinox headphone receptacle should be a lot tighter around the headphone jack.  Because of its location underneath of the control box, the cable wiggles the jack around when one swings the coil.  What I am planning to do is to buy the headphone waterproof adapter sold a Kellyco and Amazon, because the rubberized plug at the jack's end of this adapter can hold the jack securely in place.  This should solve the problem I am having.

Cable:

https://www.amazon.com/Minelab-Detector-Headphone-Adaptor-Equinox/dp/B07NJ9NRWG?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-osx-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07NJ9NRWG

12 hours ago, RayfromAK said:

The wireless headphones work quite well, but I don't want to have a wireless receiver so close to my head for extended periods of time.

I completely understand minimizing unnecessary, avoidable health risks, but if you are reacting to the latest media sensationalized news regarding airpods and other wireless headphones, take a look at this article for a less sensationalized perspective:

https://www.health.com/condition/cancer/bluetooth-wireless-headphones-cancer

Bottom line, there is just a lot of controversy, but not a lot of facts or concrete results from research and the total EMI field from RF radiation of all types basically overwhelms the energy a pair of bluetooth headset can pump into your brain, even from close range.  Furthermore, the health industry is itself conflicted.  Bluetooth or similar wireless technology hearing aids often widely prescribed and used, for example.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with a better safe than sorry approach, though it might be less convenient. 

First of all, the 800 included ML BT phones DO come with a hard wired connection and cable in the headphone case.  Have you tried that with your Equinox?  

Second, if you are concerned about having the BT transmitter/receiver next to your head, try using the WM08 wireless receiver.  Your ipod earbuds should be able to plug right and remain stable since you are not putting any strain on the connection unlike with the control head, and you can still remain untethered to your detector and you can place the receiver in a place not near your head.

If you are looking for wired earbud alternatives for warmer weather conditions, you might want to consider getting a modified pair of wired buds that also include the proper Equinox compatible screwed-in connector.  Here is an example off ebay. That way you eliminate the having to use the ML adapter cable which also only has a 1/4" jack which is great for enabling typical detecting type wired headphones to be used with your Equinox, but I do not know of many earbuds that have the 1/4" plug, necessitating another adapter be placed between your earbuds and the ML adapter.  The other advantage of the earbud with dedicated compatible plug connector is that they are waterproof which means you can use them in foul weather or even water hunting if desired.  My personal preference is to buy a set of over the ear waterproof phones, many of which are designed to give good sound even when not water hunting (dedicated water hunting submersible waterproof phones often have to compromise audio quality by using technology such as piezoelectric speakers to enable them to be audible submerged).

HTH

• Like 2

Not to be negative but in all honesty, the coil and metal detector itself generates a far more substantial electromagnetic  field than the Bluetooth transmission.   If you are seriously concerned about electromagnetic fields affecting your health I would recommend a different hobby.  

8 hours ago, Noah (FL) said:

Not to be negative but in all honesty, the coil and metal detector itself generates a far more substantial electromagnetic  field than the Bluetooth transmission.   If you are seriously concerned about electromagnetic fields affecting your health I would recommend a different hobby.  

I appreciate what you are saying, and completely understand.  But what I am trying to avoid is having the Bluetooth radio frequency concentrated right on my head. 

• Like 1