Problem With My 800's Headphone Socket?

On 3/24/2019 at 1:41 AM, Chase Goldman said:

I completely understand minimizing unnecessary, avoidable health risks, but if you are reacting to the latest media sensationalized news regarding airpods and other wireless headphones, take a look at this article for a less sensationalized perspective:

https://www.health.com/condition/cancer/bluetooth-wireless-headphones-cancer

Bottom line, there is just a lot of controversy, but not a lot of facts or concrete results from research and the total EMI field from RF radiation of all types basically overwhelms the energy a pair of bluetooth headset can pump into your brain, even from close range.  Furthermore, the health industry is itself conflicted.  Bluetooth or similar wireless technology hearing aids often widely prescribed and used, for example.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with a better safe than sorry approach, though it might be less convenient. 

First of all, the 800 included ML BT phones DO come with a hard wired connection and cable in the headphone case.  Have you tried that with your Equinox?  

Second, if you are concerned about having the BT transmitter/receiver next to your head, try using the WM08 wireless receiver.  Your ipod earbuds should be able to plug right and remain stable since you are not putting any strain on the connection unlike with the control head, and you can still remain untethered to your detector and you can place the receiver in a place not near your head.

If you are looking for wired earbud alternatives for warmer weather conditions, you might want to consider getting a modified pair of wired buds that also include the proper Equinox compatible screwed-in connector.  Here is an example off ebay. That way you eliminate the having to use the ML adapter cable which also only has a 1/4" jack which is great for enabling typical detecting type wired headphones to be used with your Equinox, but I do not know of many earbuds that have the 1/4" plug, necessitating another adapter be placed between your earbuds and the ML adapter.  The other advantage of the earbud with dedicated compatible plug connector is that they are waterproof which means you can use them in foul weather or even water hunting if desired.  My personal preference is to buy a set of over the ear waterproof phones, many of which are designed to give good sound even when not water hunting (dedicated water hunting submersible waterproof phones often have to compromise audio quality by using technology such as piezoelectric speakers to enable them to be audible submerged).

HTH

Thank you, Mr. Goldman for your suggestions.  I can give then a try and see how they work.

During my years in the military working with aircraft (long ago), we took the warnings about RF and other types of radiation very seriously.  I know that we are surrounded by all kinds of RF signals, including Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. I am just trying to keep the transmitters and receivers a small distance from my brain.  

Thanks again.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a Minelab wired headphones for my Equinox, and these work fine.  I thought that the headphone receptacle where the jack plugs into was loose, but that was not the case.  I figured that one has to push the jack into the receptacle quite firmly until it sort of snaps in place, at which point the jack is held securely without any play.

I will also be looking for a set of good quality wired earphones for using during some of the hot summer days.  I can still use the Bluetooth headphones now and then, but these will become a backup set.

Did you consider getting the WM-08 receiver module? 

https://www.minelab.com/usa/accessories-1/by-detector/equinox-series#sec321942

(I know, they aren't cheap, but you can find 'used' ones on Ebay occasionally.)  That's what I use almost exclusively with my 800, summertime with wired earbuds (that plug into the WM-08) and in cool/cold weather with standard over-ear headphones.  The WM-08 goes in my shirt or jacket breast pocket.

On 4/12/2019 at 5:24 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Did you consider getting the WM-08 receiver module? 

https://www.minelab.com/usa/accessories-1/by-detector/equinox-series#sec321942

(I know, they aren't cheap, but you can find 'used' ones on Ebay occasionally.)  That's what I use almost exclusively with my 800, summertime with wired earbuds (that plug into the WM-08) and in cool/cold weather with standard over-ear headphones.  The WM-08 goes in my shirt or jacket breast pocket.

I do have one of those.  The EQ 800 came with the wireless headphones and the WM-08 receiver module.  I just don't want to use Bluetooth all the time,  but occasionally as a backup. Will be using the Minelab wired headphone (around $32.00 at Kellyco).  But I would also like a set of wired earphones to use on hot summer days.  There are some to be found at eBay, but I can wait until Kellyco or Amazon have them.