Sign in to follow this  
Reno Chris

GPZ 7000 Coil Cover Available

Its been a problem with no solution so far. The GPZ 7000 by Minelab is an expensive detector and folks who are out using them daily (or nearly so) in the goldfields are wearing out the coil covers and Minelab has not yet provided any replacements. This is a problem as the coils are quite expensive and replacement coils are not even available either. Guys have been patching up and repairing the old coil covers as best as they could and hoping ML will come out with replacement coil covers soon - but no one really knows when they will be available.

Well, private enterprise to the answer - Razorback Coils / Miner John Designs, a third party coil maker, is now selling GPZ 14 inch coil covers. At least now the prospectors who are running the GPZ have an option other than putting a band-aid or some other sorry excuse on the old cover. The new ones by Razorback are supposed to greatly outlast the stock cover and are available here:

http://razorbackcoils.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/5908106

• Like 2

They're on eBay too.

Now we just need some good control box covers and we'll be set.

Good info, thanks Chris!

Apparently genuine Minelab scuff covers and backup batteries are available now at some Australian dealers. Presumably they will be available at U.S. dealers in the very near future.

The Razorback version scuff cover may be cheaper and better, hard to beat a deal like that.

Glad to hear that guys .

Wondering why he made the coil covers in black which would seem to absorb more heat etc.

I would prefer a white coil cover.

That being said he has made quality products in the past and I would not hesitate to buy one.

Now I just have to get a GPZ to go with it…

Good info, thanks Chris!

Apparently genuine Minelab scuff covers and backup batteries are available now at some Australian dealers. Presumably they will be available at U.S. dealers in the very near future.

The Razorback version scuff cover may be cheaper and better, hard to beat a deal like that.

I purchased spare batterys from 'Miners Den Sydney' 2 days ago for $249aud.

They also had spare cover's as well for $60.

Should not be long until you get them on your side of the pond!

I will rarely need to replace the coil cover as I siliconed a piece of 3mm lexan plastic in its place.

Lexan is VERY abrasion resistant so it will easily last 1-3 seasons full time use, if I were to continue to use the minelab one's it would cost a pretty penny as they only last about 2-4 weeks depending on the ground type.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By flakmagnet
      Has anyone else had this happen? I was using the same settings I use in this area I go to. My tuning process was the same, but the last time I tuned, the ferrite wouldn't balance out. The detector still worked great but I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't balance the ferrite out. 
      Should I have done a factory reset or something and just put in all the settings again? 
      Suggestions?
      Thanks.

• By Lunk
      Hi all,
      It’s been awhile since my last post, but I’ll be sharing some knowledge and anecdotes more often, now that my summer job is a thing of the past and I’m free to once again roam the desert southwest, wielding the power of the mighty Zed to unearth nature’s golden treasures.
      I was carefully gridding (or - in deference to Gerry in Idaho - crawling) an old nugget patch during a recent trip to the far flung reaches of Nevada’s golden triangle, when the hypnotic drone of the threshold was suddenly broken by a sharp, double “wee-ooh, wee-ooh”. This type of response typically heralds a small and shallow target, usually within six inches of the surface. “Most likely a boot tack or bird shot”, I thought to myself as I crouched down and scraped an inch or two of the dry and dusty desert soil away from the target zone with my pick. Another swing of the detector coil indicated that I had moved the target, and a quick sifting of the material with the hand scoop revealed a small yellow nugget...the first catch of the day! A few more of these shallow pickers were dug during the the next couple of hours, and then I heard a faint, single “wee-ooh”. Knowing that this meant a bit larger target at depth, I went to work hacking into the densely packed soil with my pick until...well, I’ll let this short video tell the rest of the story:
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzmm1pgdrpaswe7/Nugget dig.mov?dl=0
      The actual weight of the nugget turned out to be 5.6 grams, bringing the total for the day to over a quarter of an ounce of the good stuff!

• By Skookum
      This poll is designed to see who is currently using either the Minelab SDC or GPZ detectors with a component of identifying anyone who actively uses both.  (I hypothesize there may be a selection bias in this forum in favor of more detectorists who use the GPZ even though sales of the SDC are much higher.)
    • By phrunt
      A package I've been very much looking forward to arrived in the mail today, I call them the twins.  It made sense to package them both in one package for postage reasons and fortunately JW was working doing some renovations at his house around the corner from mine today so he had his a few minutes after the courier arrived at my place with the package as I shot straight over to give it to him. 
      I tore the box open to find them extremely well packaged

And now the twins

15x10 spiral wound X-coils, one for the GPZ, one for the GPX.  The GPZ's coils curly cord seems good to me.

They came with a spare coil cover.  This is obviously the GPZ coil.

And the GPX one.
      Hopefully I can find some gold soon with it, I've on a dry spell at the moment, although the football field of coins has kept me busy.  It's been about a month since I've attempted to find gold as my weekends are filled with skiing as my daughter is addicted to it and my week days have been busy doing the local coin hunting, now this coil has arrived I best get out there soon.  It snowed yesterday and today there is a freezing wind blowing off the snow, if it wasn't for that I'd be shooting off now to test it out.  Only about 2 weeks left of ski season.
      JW's been doing pretty well lately with his 10x9" X-coil and he rarely takes it off he loves it so much so it will be interesting to see how he goes with this new one being spiral (flat wound) when his 10x9" is bundle wound. 
    • By klunker
      I just couldn't figure it out. The old Jeep mysteriously started running much smoother and quieter and became much more stable. I would also say that it's performance somehow increased by 30% or perhaps even 40%. In fact i was so impressed i decided I would invest some time into cleaning it up a bit. As I was mucking out the interior ( forgotten rock samples, sticks and leaves, old sandwich wrappers with sandwiches, dropped nuggets and such) I found Sourdough Scott's missing ferrite ring. I took it out and put it where Scott could pick it up and now the Jeep is back to it's usual squeaky, whinny, worbally self.
       Mystery solved.

• By phrunt
      I always wondered if there was even gold around where the X-coil manufacturer lives, I didn't know much about Russian gold or if Russia even had much gold.
      Here is a video broken into parts of the Russian manufacturer showing the different capabilities of the 17x12" X-Coil between the Standard GPZ14” Minelab coil being used near high voltage power lines in Russia.
      It's good to see he is a prospector.
      Sorry about the quality of some of the parts. 
      It's a deep hole he has to dig to get it, nice soft soil though... that'd make life easier than using a jackhammer 🙂